Chapter 23

• • •

• • •

"Taste the blood, 

broken dreams."

• • •

"How was it?" Polly inquired to her son, who finally sat at the table in her home once again.

"I was starving, so I would have eaten anything. But really, it was super." He replied honestly as he finished the meal she had cooked for him.

"When did you last eat?" She immediately asked as her motherly tendencies took over.

"Lunchtime yesterday. I wasn't able to buy anything to eat last night, unfortunately.  I must have misplaced my wallet. Perhaps I dropped it when a boy ran into me..." Michael pondered aloud, retracing his steps in his mind. Polly's eyes widened at the mention of a boy. An agitated sigh escaped her lips as her mind jumped to a conclusion.

"This boy didn't have short curly hair and a cap?" 

"Um, yes, I believe he did. Gave me a rather strange look when I wished him on his way." He retorted uneasily as he tried to work out his mother's sudden interest in the 'boy'.

"I'm sure it will turn up very soon...." Polly mumbled, aggressively tapping her cigarette butt into the ashtray, knowing precisely who had 'bumped' into her son. 

• • •

"Oh, I don't know, Tom, kids these days." Arthur remarked loudly as a 'man' fantasising about being a cowboy left the Garrison's private nook.

"They didn't fight, so they're different. They stay kids." Tommy sighed as he thought about Harry and Finn.

"Talking about kid's is it me, or is Harry still..." John began asking his brothers, still concerned for their little sister. However, he could never finish the question as a light knock sounded on the door before opening to reveal Harry herself.

"Alright, Harry?" Arthur chuckled at the girl's timing as John busied himself with a newspaper, looking abashed.

• • •

"Run for the hills! It's Digbeth kid!" Arthur shouted after the two younger siblings as John chased Harry through the front door. Catching her arm as he pulled her into a headlock, ruffling her hair as they continued into the family home

"Get out of town, kid or I'll shoot your fucking head off!" John shouted as he pulled out his gun, pretending to aim it at Harry's head as they emerged into the kitchen.