~5. A Champion's Quest Begins~

(Linkle outfit but with black pants and high thigh brown boots)

 Linkle woke up early and stared through the window showing clear skies, birds chirping, and the rest of the village waking up. Even though there was evil and monsters prowling the lands of Hyrule, the village and probably others, still thrive and continue their lives. And the people have been living like this for the past 100 years? Linkle guessed that even in dark times, they needed to have some happiness to live off of, because what would life be in just fear and darkness?

After Linkle got dressed, fixed her hair, and packed everything in her satchel, she took a deep breath ready to start her big mission. Linkle exited the room and bared the housekeeper a farewell. She reached her horse that was tied to a post right outside and made sure all her supplies were all set. Linkle took out the Sheikah Slate to look at the map to look where Hateno Village was at. Seems there was a path leading out of the mountains and a long strip of road. This road would surely take her to Hateno Village.

Linkle got on her horse and started making her way on the road leading her out of the peaceful village of Kakariko Village. However, Empa had gone outside her compound and watched Linkle be on her way.

"Good luck, child. We will meet again."

Linkle had her horse paced in a trot through the small wooded area to the narrow path through the mountain, going downhill. She crossed a stone bridge over a running river and up ahead of her was a stable, the same stable she came across when she was headed to Kakariko Village. To her left, there was a road leading off to the distance. This was the road to Hateno Village. She directed her horse in that direction in a fast walk. Confused, she tugged her horse to a stop when she reached a fork in the road.

"Uh," Linkle mumbled as she took out the Sheikah Slate and used her finger to swipe and zoom in to look which road to take-

"Excuse me, miss! You need help?" a man's voice called out behind her.

Linkle turned around in her saddle and saw a man on horseback riding behind her.

"Uh, yes! I'm trying to head to Hateno Village" Linkle said as the man stopped his horse next to hers

"Well you're in luck! I'm heading there myself! I'd be happy to accompany you there" he said smiling.

"Thank you, I'd appreciate it" Linkle smiled gratefully.

And so, the traveler rode forward with Linkle following.

"It'll take a full day to get to Hateno Village from here," he informed Linkle, "As long as we're traveling together, we're less likely to be attacked by monsters."

"Hm" Linkle nodded at this.

"So what's your name, traveler?" the man asked.

Should she tell her name to people? Wasn't she supposed to have a low profile?

"My name is Linkle and this is Malon" Linkle introduced herself and her horse.

"My name is Joute and this is my 'best horsey'. We're always on the road sightseeing. It's nice to meet you" he said over his shoulder.

"Same to you" Linkle said.

The path was leading towards a fort with wildlife taking over it, but Linkle was more concerned about the multiple Guardians around it and the road.

"Don't worry, These Guardians don't come to life." he said, calming down Linkle, "That up there is Hateno Fort. During the Great Calamity, it served as a tactical defense point for the Hylian army. Fort Hateno was ill-equipped for serious combat, but the surrounded terrain impeded the Guardians' attacks on the Fort. The combined efforts of the Hero, the Princess, the militia from the citizens of Hateno Village and the Hylian forces stationed at Fort Hateno led to the successful defense of the Fort, narrowly sparing those living east of its walls,"

Linkle perked up when the Hero and the Princess were mentioned.

"Minor repair efforts were carried out to restore the monument, however, the repairs were in very limited capacity as those trained in stone-masonry were lost during the Great Calamity. These Guardians are what's left of that battle. It's quite a historical site!"

"Wow" Linkle said in awe as they walked through the gateway of the fort. Linkle studied the old walls covered in moss and debris.

"I take it you don't know much of Hyrule's history of the Great Calamity?" Joute asked, chuckling.

"Well, I actually lost my memory, so I don't remember anything. The land, the history, or myself. That's why I'm traveling around to find answers." Linkle said honestly.

"Hm, I see. Well, young lady, you have a long journey ahead of you. Hyrule is a lot bigger than you think. But it's also fun for sightseeing. You're lucky, some people would like to see all of Hyrule for the first time again."

Linkle smiled. Despite her situation, she could experience this world all over again and see what it has in store for her.

Linkle noticed a lone traveler, with a bag on the side of the road ahead of them.

"Keep moving. Don't stop or talk to this person, ya hear?" Joute warned over his shoulder, making Linkle confused.

The walk on their horses were silent and the surrounding grew intense as they got closer and closer to the individual. They slowly passed the suspicious man. Linkle looked at him through the corner of her eye as the strange man glared at her. Linkle felt something off.

Once they were a good distance away from the stranger, Linkle decided to ask.

"So, how come we had to ignore that man?" Linkle asked curiously.

"That was a member of the Yiga Clan. They were once Sheikah who abandoned the Royal Family and pledged their allegiance to Calamity Ganon. From what I heard at one point, they tried to assassinate Princess Zelda, but failed. Since you don't have any memory and you're going to be traveling by yourself, you need to be wary of these members. They're usually alone and hang out in remote areas far where you can't get help."

Linkle was shocked.

"But how did you-?"

"Know they were a member? You gotta look at their eyes. They have some look of crazy, evil look in them. Plus they were alone in a far spot away from other people. Also, if you feel bad energy around them, listen to your gut and flee."

Linkle silently nodded, but looked behind her at the stranger and she caught chills. The stranger was still glaring dead hard at her the whole time.

He didn't know who she was did he?

The rest of the ride was casual small talk and eventually it was near sunset. The bending road looped up to a hill leading them to the entrance of Hateno Village. They both came to a stop.

"Well, here we are. Hateno Village. The Inn is just a little down that way." Joute pointed and then looked at her.

"Thank you, again, Joute. For the help and company." Linkle smiled.

"No problem, young lady. Just remember what I told ya. Take care of yourself and I hope you find what you're looking for. Us Hylians have to look out for each other. Hope to see you again on the road!"

"Thank you, I will. Take care." Linkle nodded as Joute rode into town and went in another direction. Linkle rode up into town and glanced through the town and noticed another house at the very top of the mountain. The house had a large telescope attached to the building.

What's that about?