What If He Does Hurt You? -Chapter 14

Ooooh, 'CheeseKatze' (Kat-insomniac Artist) made some amazing art for the last chapter! They posted a bunch of fan art for this story on the discord server, I'll add some more when it comes up to those chapters but thank you so much I love them! Also anyone with fan art for any of my stories I will totally add the art in the next chapter! I love seeing them so much!

---

Jason stared at his brother's body for a long moment. "How did you know that?" Jason's voice was probably a little harsher than he wanted. He had to be sure, But there was no other way the kid would know about that unless he was talking with Tim in some way. Or at least being able to access the replacement's memories. Which was not a good sign.

The kid tensed like he had done something wrong and was turning his head away. "I-... He mentioned it when you first showed up, back at the warehouse."

"So you can talk with him like this?" The kid nodded silently. Jason reached over and closed the door to his apartment behind them. "So what, is he floating around the room right now?" Jason waved his gloved finger in the air in a figure-eight pattern.

The kid shook his head. "In here, he's still in his body..." He pointed at his brain. "I'm just controlling it. I can hear his thoughts." The kid was very quiet. There was a brief moment where the kid looked like he was having an inward debate.

"Look, kid..." Jason stepped forward causing the kid to step backward deeper into the apartment. Jason was in between him and the door, and the kid probably felt trapped. He stayed where he was, Tim first.

)-(

"Phantom, I don't think he wants to hurt us." Danny could feel Tim's unease all over him, like he wasn't even sure of the fact.

Danny stepped back again. Further, into the apartment, they were trapped. "He tried to kill you! And I-, I could feel your fear when we walked in."

Tim inwardly cringed. Which was honestly all he could do at the moment. "It was a natural reaction?" Danny was skeptical. "It was natural, okay. We don't really get along. But if he wanted to hurt us he would have already!"

"You hope so! What if he does hurt you!?" Danny knew his obsession was probably leaking through.

"Look, kid..." Hood started, stepping forward again towards Danny who stumbled back another step. No way to escape now.

His eyes locked onto the red helmet again. "You tried to kill Tim before. How can... You need..." Danny took a breath. "Can I trust you to help him? That you won't hurt him?" Danny asked. He needed something.

The man sighed before reaching up and undoing the release clasps on his helmet. It came off with a hiss before placing it on the kitchen counter right next to the entrance. "Look, kid..." Hood wrung his hands together.

"And this is for both of you. Tim as well." Jason continued. "This is kind of hard to explain, but I regret what I did, deeply. I was not in my right mind and was angry at Bruce, angry at everyone, really...." He winced as if apologizing physically hurt him. "But I shouldn't have taken it out on Tim. I'm sorry. I don't want to hurt you."

Danny stared at the man's face. Searching for any hint of a lie. After he took his helmet off he could see way more of him even though he was still wearing one of those domino masks underneath. His face didn't give away much. But Danny could feel his emotions showing regret and pain... and anger, but not directed at Danny or Tim, but himself.