Chapter 1: Introduction

——————————🐚——————————

"With every sun comes a new day. A new beginning."

A large stone wall had a painting of a sun rising above the horizon shining its light down on the drawn out land.

"A hope that things will be better today than they were yesterday."

A drawing of a boy suddenly appeared on the wall.

"But not for me. My name is Eep."

Five new figures appeared next to him.

"And this is my family. The Croods. If you weren't already clued in by the animal skins and sloping foreheads, we're cavemen."

An animal noise could be heard nearby, and the Eep's dad perked up in alert and shoved the rest of the family into a cave to avoid the predator, and sealed it off with a giant boulder.

"Most days we spend in our cave, in the dark. Night after night. Day after day. Yep. Home sweet home."

Eep's dad pushed the boulder away and exited the cave gesturing for the family to follow after him.

"When we did go out, we struggled to find food in a harsh and hostile world."

The family ran off to find something to eat, but kept getting chased by multiple creatures.

"And I struggled to survive my family."

The family all regrouped and stood together.

"We were the last ones around. There used to be neighbors. Uh, the Gorts, smashed by a mammoth...The Horks, swallowed by a sand snake...The Erfs, mosquito bite...Throgs, common cold."

The family backed away and ran into an Bear Owl.

"And the Croods. That's us. The Croods made it, because of my dad."

Eep's dad picked up a giant rock and threw it at the Bear Owl, hitting it in the face.

"He was strong, and he followed the rules. The ones painted on the cave walls."

The cave wall was filled with examples of things that were considered to be bad and dangerous, and they all had red handprints on them to emphasize the point that if they broke these rules, they were gonna die.

"Anything new is bad, curiosity is bad, going out at night is bad. Basically anything fun is bad."

"Welcome to my world!"

A crack appeared on the wall and it spread up around the entire area.

"But this is a story about how that all changed in an instant. Because what we didn't know, was that our world...was about to come to an end."

An image of the Earth splitting apart appeared on the wall, followed by a big red handprint over it.

"And there were no rules on our cave walls to prepare us for that."

——————————🐚——————————