Chapter 14: Following the Light

——————————🐚——————————

"Hurry! Come on. We're gonna make it!" Guy yelled.

They all ran between the mountains and finally came to their destination. Tomorrow. The sun was touching the mountain and the clouds to create a heavenly sight. It looked as if they could all walk across a bridge of clouds to tomorrow.

They all stood still, staring at it in awe, when all of a sudden, the ground began to shake again. The golden clouds to the right of them began to rise and a cloud of black smoke burst through them. The ground was cracking in front of them and a line of smoke was trailing horizontally across the horizon. They looked to the left and saw the same thing happening.

"Run!" Guy exclaimed.

They all started running, trying to make it to tomorrow before the line of black smoke hit them. They ran with all their might, but it was no use. The trails of smoke connected, and the group all jumped back and covered their faces.

Once the smoke cleared a big Guy looked down to see a river of lava below them, and the smoke slowly engulfing the golden glow of the sun.

"I don't...I don't understand." Guy panicked. "The sun was right here...it was right here..."

"Guy?" Guy turned back to his sister and saw that she was starting to look scared.

"(Y/n)...I'm...so sorry. I failed you and our parents." He sighed in defeat.

(Y/n) ran forward and hugged Guy. "It's not your fault Guy. You did everything you could."

Eep came forward and placed a hand on Guy's shoulder, and grasped (Y/n)'s hand with his other.

"We have to go back to the cave." Ugga insisted, pushing everyone along. "Hurry, hurry! Stay together. Keep moving, move move."

Everyone moved except for Grug who could still see a sliver of light left.

Ugga turned back to look at him. "Grug, what's wrong with you? Grug we'll die if we stay here!"

Grug held his hand up to the sky and watched as the light on his hand slowly faded.

"Grug, listen to me. We gotta get back to that cave." Ugga insisted.

"No more dark. No more hiding. No more caves." He decided, walking up to his family.

He looked over at Eep. "What's the point of all this? To follow the light."

Eep smiled at him, and so did the rest of the family.

"I can't change. I don't have ideas. But I have my strength. And right now..." Grug turned to look back at the chasm. "That's all you need."

Ugga's eyes widened in realization. "No! We don't know what's over there. Maybe nothing! It's too risky." She pleaded.

Grug turned to face her. "It's a chance."

Guy smiled at Grug. "I'll take that chance."

Guy pulled (Y/n) into a hug, and looked at Eep. "If I don't make it, promise me you'll take care of her."