● Question's Answers

Thousands and thousands of candles lined up the entire perimeter of the hall . Beautiful,  sparkling  chandeliers hung from the ceiling. Shimmering , peach-hued curtains adorned the entire hall. All in one , the Goenkas were once again exquisite in their taste.

The eyes that were critically analyzing the entire decoration belonged to none other than a certain Neil Birla.  Even though the entire event didn't appeal to him at all , he couldn't help but appreciate the extravaganza of the preparations. Having a business of diamonds , the Goenkas were extremely rich and they never failed to show it off.

For a while , Neil couldn't believe,  he had made it uptill here . Neither did the Goenkas- the momentary look of shock that filled up their faces . That however was quickly replaced by looks of utter disdain.  Words of mere formality exchanged , and they were allowed to enter in because who would like to create a commotion in front of the guests.  Still then , Neil wasn't spared a steely warning glance by the bride's brother , Kairav Goenka. 

Passing through the entry , Neil had searched for himself the farthest corner  of seats. Once found,  he had left his brother and mother , midway and proceeded to the corner table . This place served the best of his needs - noticing everything while being unnoticed . From that position he saw , Manish Goenka,  face drawn in a steep smile , intently attending to a guest. From the frequency with which he had been wiping his face , suggested how tensed he was. He saw Akhilesh Goenka , trying to be his jovial best .

Just as Neil was examining his hosts , sn unwanted person flopped down to the seat next to him . From the corner of his eyes , Neil saw him - he wasn't acquainted with him , yet he felt familiar.
" Hi!" The man said , a wide smile adorning his face.

Neil gave a stiff node. The last thing he wanted was a familiar conversation with an unfamiliar person.
The man beside him hailed a waiter who was serving drinks ,
" Drinks?" He asked Neil.
" Thanks but I don't drink ." Neil sighed.

Dismissing the waiter he turned towards Neil.
" Strange" , he said , " the state that you are in , you must have been on your second bottle now."

That made Neil turn towards him . You see , Neil Birla had always been the most humorous one . But today was not the day , he would encourage any humor.
" What do you mean?" Neil eyed him , getting a bit annoyed .

" Well you are depressed. You must be drinking now , isn't it ? To forget all your woes ."

" what makes you think I am depressed  ."

" Well you are sitting in the corner. Com'n you are a young man , this is a marriage. You must be out there,  having fun, flirting   dancing ......"

" Well ..perhaps I just didn't want to do any of that ..."

" You would have if you were not depressed  ."

" Listen...."
Before Neil could have said anything,  there was some sound in the stairs. As everyone's attention went over to it , there descended , like the vision herself,  the to- be bride Aarohi Goenka.

Clad in a pastel green lehenga , she looked so beautiful that Neil stopped in his speech to just look at her . To take her sight in , as much as he could . He stood there transfixed, forgetting that this beauty was not his anymore and was soon going to be engaged to somebody else.

" She is looking beautiful,  isn't it?" Someone spoke in her ears . Neil nodded but quickly recomposed himself . As he turned around , he saw the voice belonged to the same annoying man who was talking to him earlier .

" Excuse me ! Who are you?" Neil was now totally annoyed  .

" Oh ! I forgot to introduce myself . Hi! I am Vikram Sharma " he extended his hand and continued," And the woman you were ogling at seconds before is my soon to be wife". He finished with a smile.

If you say , Neil was shocked , that would be an understatement.  He was so shocked that he stood there watching him wide eyed .
" Well it seems you won't shake hands with me , Mr.Birla " Neil was brought to reality by Vikram .

Neil couldn't understand what the man wanted. But he knew what he wanted.  And that was to turn around ,leave this place as fast as possible. The presence of this man was nauseating him. But politeness and morals that his mother taught him , suggested him to speak to him.

" Congratulations,  Mr. Sharma ." Neil said , " I am ...so ..h..happy for you.. you two."

Vikram looked at him as if he was out of his mind , before he said ,
" Cut the crap , Mr. Birla . You are not at all happy with this alliance. "

Neil marveled at the straightforwardness of this man. He would have loved to be friends with him , had he not been marrying the live of Neil's life.

" Well , in that case , Mr. Sharma. " Neil said," As you clearly understand my feelings,  you might want to excuse me."
Saying so , he prepared to leave , to be stopped by Vikram.

" I can't do that Mr. Birla. ", Vikram said," you have stayed silent for too long."

Neil sighed. This man wasn't going to leave him any soon.
" What do you want?" Neil asked .

" Do you love Aarohi ?" Vikram asked, without bothering to answer Neil.

Neil was shocked.  That clearly wasn't something somebody asked to the exes of their  brides on the day of engagement . Neil's eyes went to where Aarohi was, talking to an old lady.
With every beat of my heart  He wanted to answer. But he couldn't do that , can he ?

" That's seriously isn't a question to be asked ." Neil said  .

" But that is something that I want to know. You left her at the altar , yet you roam about like a lovelorn lover. You miss her , and that can be seen . I want to know what's within you."

" If " , Neil Said measuring his words ," if I said I love her . What will you do ? Leave her ? Stop this wedding?"
Neil prayed for a negative answer . As much as he wanted the marriage to stop,  he couldn't let Aarohi face rejection again.
As Vikram framed his answer, Neil looked at Aarohi to find her looking at him. The incredulous look on her face , suggested that she didn't expect him here.  She was looking at their table , trying to figure out what conversation her ex was having with her present.

" No" Vikram finally answered , to bring back , Neil's attention towards himself, " I won't stop this wedding unless she wants it. I will do what she wants,  if  what she wants is a wise decision. "

The answer was formal and a well framed one , matching with Neil's expectation to some extent .

" But you still haven't answered my question " Vikram said .

Neil didn't know what to say . But before he could answer , Vikram was summoned , the ring exchange ceremony would begin now. But before he left,  he said to Neil ,
" Wait for my invitation , Mr. Birla" he paused for a second to continue, " You and I need a longer time for this question answer session . "

With that he left , leaving Neil look at him proceeding to get engaged to Neil's love. No matter how much he despised him for marrying Aarohi,  he grudging accepted that he was beginning to respect his straightforward attitude. 

He prepared himself for this torturous evening as he wondered what their next question and answer session will hold .

From the author:  Do you  like the character of Vikram?