Successful Plans

The breezes blew past him , as Vikram Sharma stood in his place, transfixed, intrigued by the vision in front of him. Where was he right now? In a dream? This can't be possible, can it? She went away, isn't it? Chose her family. Wedded another guy. Vikram knew he shouldn't stand here, looking at her like this. She is after all a married woman, isn't it? And he, himself, was going to be married the next day. But his heart, his old silly heart, always betrayed him.

When Neil Birla had rang him up, the previous day, and asked him to meet in the park, even in his wildest dreams Vikram couldn't have guess he would be standing in front of none other than Sitara Chakravarty.

Speaking of Neil Birla, the young man was out on a voyage of his own. Standing before the 'Heal and Care' hospital, he waited for a certain doctor to emerge from the gates. Constantly , flickering his eyes between the hospital door and his watch, Neil was getting impatient. His mind worried about what could be happening at the park. Their plan was craftily designed, all thanks to his dear Aakshara bhabi, and surprisingly his brother Abhimanyu, who unlike popular belief was quite eager in reuniting Aarohi and Neil.  In the conquest of his own love, Neil felt immense pride in reuniting the other two lovers. He hoped that both of them, listened to their hearts, instead of following their calculative minds.

Catching him unprepared, Aarohi Goenka, emerged from the hospital gates, looking her professional best. As Neil caught up with her steps, he suddenly announced,

" So mehendi, done?"

That startled, the doctor as she turned around quite rapidly to look at the intruder of her thoughts. Once she recognized him, she scrunched her eyes, as if something about him was entirely misplaced,

" You look.....happy?"

" Of course, I am."

Aarohi sighed. What was this chamgadar upto now?

" Why?"

" My dear chipkali, why can't you see your lover a bit happy?" Neil asked dramatically, which earned him an eyeroll from Aarohi.

" Anyway", Neil continued," we are going on a date. To the park. Come." 

" Neil, I am getting married tomorrow."

" No! you are not!"

" what?"

" uffo, Aarohi! Just take the helmet and sit on the bike. For someone who claims  to be an introvert, you do ask a lot of questions!"

In the same park, in which the duo were venturing, there was another couple engaged in their own conversation.

" Sitara...."

" You are getting married, Vikram." That wasn't a question, but a statement. and in that very moment , Vikram wished he didn't. Before such thoughts could carry him to any delusion, he asked, what he should have asked way back.

" Why are you here?"

" Neil called me."

" Did he now? And why is that ?"

Sitara was looking at Vikram. Oh! for how many days had she yearned to see this face before her. She owed Neil for that. Even if Vikram turned down her proposal today, she would thank Neil for at least giving her a chance for to see Vikram face to face. 

" He loves that girl you know. The one whom you are marrying. Aarohi, isn't it?"

" I know .... but why did he call you?"

" Well you know ..... you have, may be, spilled my name when you were intoxicated..."

" But that doesn't make sense in bringing a married woman to persuade me to not marry....."

"I .... I am not married Vikram."

 To this Vikram looked at her sharply. This wasn't expected.

" You are...are not ?"

" I ran away .... N..never been in touch  with my family since then."

Suddenly Vikram looked fumed.

" you have staying alone all these years and you didn't even think of contacting."

" How could I Vikram." Sitara was in tears ," I didn't stoop up for our love when it was time. I didn't support you then. With what face could I have gone to you ..."

" Then why are you here today?"

" To remedy all of that. Neil made me realize that in relationship we need to speak, to talk. I am not here to tell you to marry, just to tell you that I am standing there, where I have always been , in love with you...."

There was a pause. A deadly pause after which Vikram continued,

" You made this tough for me. I love you, Sitara Chakrvarty...but I have my responsibilities towards Aarohi. And her family..."

" You don't have any responsibilities towards me, Vikram..."

In all their intense confessions, Vikram and Sitara had failed to notice that they were being joined by others. Vikram turned around to see Aarohi staring back at him. How much did she hear?

" Aaru..."

" No! Vick. We are friends , best friends in fact.  We love each other. But this isn't the love one should have in their marriage. Vick, You got your loved one back. Go for her..."

"But Aaru, what about you. I can't let you face a failed marriage again..."

" You don't have to worry about it, bro. I am there for that." Neil emerged from Aarohi's back, looking immensely happy with the results of his plan.

Vikram looked towards Aarohi, as if to get the confirmation of what was just said by Neil. Once She gave a reassuring nod, he turned towards Neil,

" You! You have all this chalked out since when?"

" Well! since the day you were extremely drunk and went on blabbering how much you love Sitara Chakravarty."

" You are wicked you know..."

" But he wasn't alone." to their surprise the two couple were joined in by Aakshara and Abhimanyu  Birla. " We helped too."

" Don't tell me, he helped too." Aarohi asked pointing a finger at Abhimanyu.

" Surprisingly, I did. But, guess, I owed it to both of you. So," said Abhimanyu extending his right hand towards Aarohi," Dr. Aarohi, let's call it a truce, shall we?"

After few seconds of consideration, Aarohi shook his hand," Considering the thoughts of Neil and Aakshu, I guess we should."

Suddenly Aakshara seemed to have remembered something," But Aaru! your wedding's tomorrow.  We can't definitely tell Bade papa that we don't want this marriage!"

That seemed to concern everyone now. To tell them, now, that they don't want this marriage , would lead to an unnecessary fuss. A lot of confusion would be created. 

Aarohi took a deep breath, " Tell me, how does it feel to run away from your wedding?"

" Oh believe me ! It feels wonderful!" said Abhimanyu. A humor that could have once felt utterly distasteful , but right now when her hands were in Neil's and a new spirit oozing inside, Aarohi laughed at it. All the past tensions so foriegn to her now. She felt confident, all over again.

" So.." declared Vikram, as if concluding a drama," You and me, Aarohi Goenka are going to elope from our marriage  with our lovers."

A bright smile and new hopes enlightening, Aarohi concluded,

" Yes we are."

From the author: A chapter with too much drama and happy feeling. Tell me how did it go. Was it a bit too dramatic?