● Forgiving

How does it feel to see your loved one in arms of other?

How does it feel when you realize you don't have any happily ever after?

How does that feel?

Do you get devastated?

Does the world suddenly seems crumbling down upon you?

In that hall, where the engagement of the youngest Goenka took place, only one knew the answer. Or perhaps two, as Manjiri Birla looked at her younger son whose clapped away as another man put the ring on his lady love's fingers. Eyes numb, yet a fake smile on his lips....wait! since when did he learn to fake his emotions! Manjiri saw it all as her son took all the penance. She somewhat understood how he felt. She had seen her husband smiling to and loving another woman. That had broken her down- shattered her completely. It didn't hurt this much , when her husband had denied her love, few months into their marriage. She was a newly wedded bride , one with lots of dreams and within seconds the fairytale romance that she had always craved for was broken by the man she thought was her prince charming.

But she didn't break down - not entirely. She still had hopes. But the day she broke down entirely, was when she saw her husband and Avni together. She saw him giving the same love to some other woman - that love which she craved for. She saw her love become someone else's just like her son was seeing now.No! their stories were not same , not even parallel. Yet as she looked at Neil, Manjiri could trace some similarities between them.

"I spoke with her, toady." the voice of Abhimanyu, sounded in her ears. For a moment Manjiri looked perplexed as to who the "Her" was.

Abhimanyu sensing his mother's confusions answered, "Aarohi. I spoke with Aarohi, this afternoon."

Manjiri stood wide-eyed. Her elder son and Aarohi had a talk in private and still both of them are alive. Is that even possible!

" I asked her to stop this marriage. "

"Abhi..You can't..You can't ask her that!"

" What should I have done Maa. This marriage... this one ... this one is a sham!"

"Abhi! We don't know about that! The girl can love this boy ....."

" No! She doesn't . She is doing this marriage for her family's sake! No! Wait..Don't refute me! Don't you see who she doesn't even want this marriage. If she was geniuenely interested don't you feel she would have thrown enough tantrums by now!"

Manjiri knew her son was correct. Whatever he said was , even though too raw to sound nice, was not wrong. She had seen the Goenka sisters and their precision to whatever they liked, something that perhaps ran in their blood.

"But Abhi..." Manjiri tried to make her son understand." You should have spoken to Aakshu , once. She is, after all, her sister. She might be knowing it!"

"Aakshu..."Abhimanyu replied,his voice suddenly cracking," Maa..aakshu and I aren't talking. I mean ..she is the one who is not talking these days.."

That was some news and not a nice. For Aakshara Birla to not talk with Abhimanyu, was not something that Manjiri could take well. She couldn't see all of her children in pain at once.

"Abhi ...why..?"

"She..." Abhimanyu took a deep breath before continuing," Aakshu is blaming me for ....for ..her sister's conditions..Which ..this time is true..."

" But ..Abhi .you need to talk to her...."

" Maa ..this isn't about me now. It's about Neil. Maa...he is dying maa. Every minute ..every second ..he is breaking behind that fake smile. Maa...I can't see my brother like that! We...must ...I must do something . It's all because of me!.."

" Good to see you accept your fault" This voice didn't belong to Manjiri. In fact , to the utter shock of the mother-son duo, this voice belonged to Aakshara Birla, who had remained a silent audience to their entire conversation.

Manjiri saw Abhimanyu turn towards Aakshara, his eyes instantly getting moist with all the love he had for the woman in front of him. Her elder son, was never the one to wear his heart on his sleeves , but when it came for his wife, he was too quick to show his emotions.

" Aakshu...." Abhimanyu went near to his wife.

" Abhi.." Aakshara responded. There wasn't any condemn or ridicule in her tone, something that Manjiri was pleased to notice. Aakshara was looking at Abhimanyu as if she was seeing him after a long time which made Manjiri wonder how long they hadn't been on talking terms.

" Abhi .. you spoke ..you spoke to Aaru ..."

Abhimanyu stood silent , as if unsure of what to speak. His wife was very protective of her sister and therefore he approached carefully ..

" Aaksu ..yes I spoke to her about this marriage. Your sister and my brother..they ...love each other ..like ..like you and me. Aakshu You need to make her understand.."

" Aaru is marrying on her own will..."

" But ....do you see her ...see your Devar. They need each other just like we do..."

" Abhi But ..."

' Hey Why don't you to join the dance floor.." cutting Aakshara's line through one of her cousins pushed them towards the dance floor. Before they left , Manjiri was able to figure out the last of their conversation..

" Aakshu...please..."

" Abhi...okay...I'll talk to her.."

That had made Manjiri smile. At least two of her children were out of the mess. Manjiri's eyes looked around to find the rest of her children. It took her a bit , but she found. One standing in the front of everyone, everyone's attention on her , another once again found for himself a corner seat , out from everyone's view. Manjiri noticed , that even though standing in contrasting positions both held the same expression. Abhimanyu was correct, Neither Aarohi nor Neil was happy with this marriage.

But something else had caught Manjiri's attention. In the middle of the dance, swaying in each other's arms were Aakshara and Abhimanyu. Their faces held no worry as if they were just lost in each other. That was love which can make you forget about all your worries , even if for seconds.

Love can do wonders, some wise men had said.

It can make you change for good. Just like Aakshara had changed Abhimanyu. Just like Neil changed Aarohi.

It can make you forgive them. Just like She had done to Harsh even after knowing about his affair. Just like Aakshara forgave Aarohi every time. Just like Aakshara forgave Abhimanyu , just now.

And if their love had been true, Manjiri hoped and prayed, Aarohi will soon forgive Neil.

From the Author: The response to this Book is getting lowered. Any suggestions of improving it ?