Chapter 1: Bloody Vegas

Pete's POV

It is 7 pm already and I am looking at the clock on the wall with anticipation. The tic tacs are making me nervous, I suddenly want to break it into pieces. I have been waiting for him for over an hour and his late ass did not even care to call. Last thing I received was a freaking message saying 'Everything's all set for tonight.' some hours ago. How can he be like this? Always making me wait. I'm sitting in this red velvet armchair, tired of waiting, shaking my foot impatiently, thinking of ways to punish him later tonight.

*Notification sound*

I check my phone and it's Tankhun. He sent me a video of Venice and Macau. They will stay with the main family tonight. Macau was not supposed to be there, but he got too attached to Venice or Chay, or both? I don't understand that kid. Oh, Macau is not smiling... Venice is not crying... I see Arm and Pol dressed as characters from an old anime Khun loves, Sailor Moon. I laugh, they will be fine. A part of me misses the craziness sometimes. Especially in times like this, when I'm bored to death.

As I hear the door open I look at the clock one last time, 7:22 pm. The door closes and the perfume that inebriates me hits my nose, I also hear the sound of the footsteps that move my heart. Should I pout to show my dissatisfaction? Normally I would say 'Welcome back' and even kiss this asshole. Today I am mad, so I choose violence.

'Love, sorry I'm late. Are you ready?'

I stare at him and click my tongue. He barely apologized and I still feel like smacking his pretty face. For a second as I look at him, having him smack my face also seems like a tempting choice. Both perfect options... Ice, Pete, icy!

'Yes.' I reply coldly, walking towards the door. When I pass beside him he grabs my arm.

'Wait. No kiss, love? Don't you have anything else to say, Pete?'

'BASTARDS who are late and don't answer their phones get no kisses.' He leans in my direction, I take a step back.

'Are you sure you can resist?' He says with daring eyes.

'Try me, Vegas. Let's go, we have a reservation and because of YOU, we might be late.' I pull my arm, he lets me go with a frown on his face.

During the ride to the restaurant I distract myself with the messages and videos Khun keeps sending. Through the mirror I can sense Vegas' gaze on me. I pretend I don't. I know he is annoyed but I can't give him any openings. Deep inside I am smiling though. Living with Vegas is like having a ferocious yet domesticated beast at home. Like a needy pet, he is possessive and wants to touch me whenever he sees me. At the slightest change in my behavior, he sulks. I secretly love all that.

*At the restaurant*

We arrive just in time and enter the beautiful palace. We are at a fancy restaurant and I made a reservation for the best table with a view of the river. Of course I had two bowls of spicy ramen earlier today to make up for this western food. All that waiting made me hangry, though. Have I chosen this place because of the reviews online? Well, yes. Have I checked the menu beforehand? No. I wonder if Vegas would tease me because of this. Porsche and Chay sent me a list of restaurants and I picked the best. It annoys me how he is not paying attention to my efforts here. He would forget the date, I'm sure. He has been working too much lately.

'Can you bring the wine menu, please?' Vegas requests and I take a peek at him. He is always so composed in these situations and places. Vegas blends in everywhere.

'Pete, what do you want to drink?'

'I'll have wine, same as you.' I avert his eyes and concentrate on the regular menu. Or should I say, in the lack of understanding of the menu. It is in French. Vegas laughs.

'What? Why are you laughing?' I ask, trying to sound natural and unfazed.

'Your face. Do you need any help?' Vegas is now looking at me intently.

'No, thank you.' Don't underestimate me, Vegas . Bodyguard training includes some basic language learning. I know my English and... Apparently my French ran away. I suck at anything that is not physical or fight related. I can only understand some Korean... Kamsahamnida. Good, some dishes have pictures... So, I might have this shrimp dish and...

'Pete. Hey, Pete.' Vegas is calling me, but I pay him little attention.

'What?' I ask with a smile and without taking my eyes off the menu.

'Are you even listening to me, Pete?' I can feel he is not that happy.

'I'll have the crevettes roses au cognac , please'. I tell him my choice and Vegas finishes the order, I can almost see his murderous aura over me now.

*Notification sound*

'Oh, excuse me, I'm going to message Khun.' Vegas rolls his eyes.

'It is OUR anniversary and you're more worried about him, about them.' Vegas is displeased. I act normally as if I hadn't listened, but at least he remembered the date. I type fast and put my phone on the table.

Vegas is staring at me and I inadvertently look at his eyes. It is always like this, he sees through me and I can't turn away. His fierce eyes seem to be getting gentler every time... The drinks arrive and he does that thing with the glass. We are silent and I am hypnotized I guess. He has this power of taking me out of reality to our sacred space. I follow his every move now. The wine is dark red, one of my favorite colors. He looks at the glass, slowly moves it, smells it, I feel the aroma too. Then he tastes it. His eyes locked on mine. His tongue playing on his lips, he bites his lower lip. I forget everything else.

*Notification sound*

Khun sent a message, it takes me out of my daze, but I will ignore it for a few more minutes. I have some urgent business going on here. I take a sip too. Good wine, it reminds me of blood. I've been punched so many times, I know exactly the taste of bloody iron... My mind now wanders to Vegas' taste, bittersweet just like him. The taste of bloody Vegas. I chuckle at the realization that even blood's taste is not that bad anymore. Life is not that bad anymore.

I feel something touching my legs. Still can't stop looking at his eyes. I take another sip without wavering. The air suddenly thickens. I mutter 'Vegas, stop.', trying to regain full control over myself.

'Do you really want me to?' He grins.

'There are lots of people here.' Sadly, we are not alone. I get out of Vegas' spell, shake my head and decide to go to the restroom. It is too early to give in. 'Be right back, please behave.' His answer is a nod as he takes another sip.