Chapter 6: Red memories

Pete's POV

*Around 1 year ago*

Vegas entered the room still in the wheelchair, he then stood up by himself and walked a few steps to reach the bed, slowly but steady. I observed and I knew he wanted to do it by himself, he's been practicing. I felt he is almost back to normal. He sat on the bed and sighed heavily.

Dr Top soon joined us and I looked at him with pleading hopeful eyes. Macau was right beside me, tense as well. I could feel his shaky hands on my shoulder.

'Our patient here is good to go. Thank you for your patience.' Doctor Top said and he handed us the discharge papers. One signature and we could leave.

Dr Top eyed Vegas with a very serious face to say 'Don't forget to take your medicine accordingly and come on the specified dates for the check ups. If anything out of the ordinary happens please contact me.'

I was so relieved I felt like crying, Macau hugged me and did cry a little. This was a very emotional and happy moment, I felt like my chest would burst. I glanced at my new little brother and dried his tears with my hands.

'Phi Pete, you too, don't cry, we can finally go home.'

Home, I wondered what...

'Pete, come here.' Vegas called and interrupted my thoughts, I let go of Macau with a smile and walked in his direction.

I stood in front of him and he carefully put his arms around my waist and embraced me. His breathing was much calmer now, he was as relieved as the rest of us. Vegas told me in a low voice 'Your heartbeat is one of my favorite sounds... Thank you, I know it has been very hard on you.' I returned the embrace, caressed his face, my tears of joy then overflowed.

Venice started crying and that distracted everyone. I looked at Vegas and smiled a bit. I tended to Venice and started grabbing the things that were missing so we could go.

Realization then hit me, while I was watching Macau and Vegas talk. Home. What was a home? My mind drifted away to my childhood at grandma's, the smell of spicy shrimp and coconut, the sun and waves... When was the last time I called a place my home? Did I even know what that meant?

'Pete, Pete... PETE.'

'Hey, what?'

'It is dripping.' I grabbed the baby bottle upside down and milk spilled on the floor. I called the nurse and they would send someone to clean up.

I kept doing the things I had to do frantically when Vegas called me again and this time I sat on the bed holding some toys. I asked myself if I would ever get used to his eyes on me like that. He offered help, but I was fine. And then he started to repeat those things... and I was tired of that conversation.

Everytime Vegas asked me if I really wanted to go with him or stay with him or do anything for him I felt like punching him in the face.

'We have discussed this so many times and there you go again.' It was like he didn't listen to me at all. 'How many times do I have to tell you it's settled? Promise me you will never ask me that again.' Or I would kill him with my bare hands, bastard. I replied angrily.

He promised me and I wondered if I should believe his words. It was the first promise we have ever made. A pinky promise too, he laughed and it seemed to hurt a little. I felt bad for a second and gently held his hand. I had to reassure this scaredy cat of mine that I was there to stay.

Nop engtered and took more stuff to the car. Macau was going to stay and have coffee with doctor Top. We said our goodbyes and I got Venice. I wondered what Khun would think of this situation. Macau was such a nice child, I wished people in the main family would see it.

Everything was set, time to go I guess. I took a deep breath and spared a minute for a prayer. That room represented part of our story. Leaving was indeed scary. There was a lot of pain, but a lot of love there. I would say we both had to really face ourselves behind these four walls. I may have never really known the true meaning of the word home, but I would do my best to figure it out with my minor family.

I turned to him, and it felt like I was turning to my future, held Venice and asked 'Vegas, are you ready to go?' He seemed wary, but nodded. I started to move, he then got up and followed us, one step at a time.

*In the car*

We were on our way to the minor family mansion, and it seemed strange somehow. I noticed Vegas was lost in thought, eyes semi open and frowning. I reached to him and gently touched his forehwad, between his eyebrows. Just like my grandma did when she sensed I wasn't OK.

'Why the worried face? Are you feeling ill?'

'No, just some unpleasant thoughts.'

'Vegas, look at me. If you feel anything or if there's something bothering you, tell me. I don't want to be kept in the dark.' He nodded and I accepted what I could get. Everything was too much too soon.

Suddenly I realized where I was, the familiar streets... I felt like every fiber in my being was on alert and I didn't know exactly why. The coffee shop and the place where he saved my life when I was crossing the street. Also, the convenience store where he busted me and payed for my coffee. The street where late at night we exchanged the most awkward conversation in my life, involving food and condoms. I was nervous and I might have been avoiding his gaze.

Why did I feel that way? Why was I ashamed of feeling that way? I didn't want to, I didn't plan to. I wanted to feel less broken, to see the second mansion as my home. To be happily ever after. I mean, after all we had been through... There was nothing I wanted more in the whole world, still, my body trembled. I saw red, red memories. Vegas was squeezing my hand.

We got closer to the entrance and Vegas told Nop to stop the car. I looked at him, puzzled and terrified.

'Pete, I know... I...'

'You promised me.' I said instinctively letting go of his hand and holding Venice tighter. He got my hand back and cupped my face between his hands. I felt like crying and screaming and I didn't even understand myself, but entering this place triggered something in me. It was like some parts of me were begging to leave.

He then said 'I'm not going to ask you anything or say that, so please listen to me.' I couldn't move, but I started to cry. A long, heavy, ugly cry.

Vegas knew he had been a monster before, and I did too. I could only nod as he dried my tears and placed kisses in my eyes. He then put his hands between my eyebrows and said 'There, there, love.' I smiled the happiest smile in a long while.