chapter twenty-seven

I was welcomed by darkness, my eyes squinting trying to make out what was going on around me. I could barely see anything until I heard a click from behind me. I turned my head around as a metal door swung open and a man stepped out. The only thing I could see was now a devil mask as the man started cackling under it. I pushed myself back, hitting the wall as I looked around for any escape route. The man came close to me as I swung my hand out trying to get away as the man grabbed my hand mere inches away from hitting his cheek as he moved closer just an inch away from me.

I shot up out of bed gripping my blanket taking a few short deep breaths. My heart was pumping in my chest, thumping in my ear as I looked around. I was back in my room. I was safe. I sat back against the covers looking up to the ceiling trying to catch my breath. This was the 2 time now that I had dreamed about that same man, same devil mask, same basement. I couldn't make any sense of it I thought it was just some weird fucked up dream I was getting from binge watching horror movies, so my brain was making up its own horror movie.

I got out of bed walking over to the window looking out. The sky was turning rays of orange and pink meaning it was too late to try and catch up on more sleep. I went to my closet picking out a pair of jeans and some t-shirt laying it over my bed as I went into the bathroom taking a quick shower letting the warm water wrap around me, refreshing me a little as the smell of vanilla filled my nose. Once I got dressed, I was out in the kitchen taking a seat next to my brother who was chewing on some pancakes as he took a piece trying to hand it over to me.

"No thanks" I said as my mother set down a plate of my own as I dug my fork in.

"Sweetie your dad and I might be working out late, please don't stay out after dark"

"Mom don't worry I won't" I said taking a bite finishing my plate throwing it in the sink. I gave my brother a quick kiss on the forehead as I rushed out picking up my bag for school.

Once I had gotten there, I was already rushing in class not trying to talk to anyone unless they were Donna, Robin, Finn or Gwen. with the drama of Vance going on I didn't try to talk to anyone else and stuck with my group of friends already. I pulled out my worksheet from yesterday working on that as Donna came in taking a seat next to me.

Later I went off to the girl's bathroom dropping my bag, turning the handle, laying my hand under catching the cold water splashing it against my face. The door opened as Gwen came in.

"Hi (y/n) you, okay?" she asked, standing next to my side.

"yeah, just stressed from Mr. Johnson I swear he doesn't know how to teach math like Finn" I joked making us both laugh a bit.

"Oh speaking about Finn just letting you know his game tonight"

"Oh shit I almost forgot" I was so focused on the Grabber and missing boys that I wasn't paying attention to anything else going on.

"Are you still going?"

"Yeah of course, thanks for reminding me, Gwen"

"You're welcome" she said fixing her bright yellow flower bandana before walking out. I stayed behind in the bathroom deciding to catch a break from all the schoolwork and to just relax for a bit. I skipped two class periods before lunch came as I ran over to Finn who was holding a tray of food leaning against the wall as we were waiting for Robin to come join us.

"Robin hurry up!" I shouted to him

"Shut up!" he shouted back. I flipped him off, sticking my tongue out as Finn shook his head at our childish behavior. Once Robin got his food, we headed outside taking a seat by the oak tree.

"(y/n) want this?" Finn asks, holding up the chocolate pudding. I took it out of his grasp while also snatching the spoon off his tray.

"Finn, when does your game start?"

"Right after school, Robin w-will you be coming?"

"Yeah buddy" Robin said leaning back against the tree eating his meal. We ate our lunch in silence. Finn was the first one to be done though as he pulled out his comic reading something about the moon landing. I was still eating the pudding when I noticed a familiar boy.

"Oh great, here comes moose" I mumbled watching his every move as he stared us all down. "Doesn't he have anything else better to do?"

"Nope" Robin cut in looking up at moose. He kept staring at us for another minute before walking off to his group of friends. Lunch was over as I went off to my next class taking a seat pulling out my notebook ready to take notes.

 Soon enough school ended as I was on the bleachers waiting for the game to begin. Gwen was sitting next to her friends chatting and Robin was sitting next to my left. Other people were filling in the seats as I noticed Donna standing next to the bleachers waving at me while holding a crush soda bottle. I waved back at her before getting up.

"I'm going to the bathroom I'll be back" I said to Robin as he nodded his head looking among the crowd. I was moving my way along the crowd walking back into the school heading to the bathroom when I bumped into one of the other team members.

"Sorry sorry" I quickly said as the boy smiled.

"Don't worry it's okay" he said flashing me a smile "I'm Bruce"

He held his hand out waiting for me to take it. I looked down at his hand wondering if I should take it but wanting to be polite, I took his hand in my shaking it.

"We met before when you bumped into me last time" he said. Oh that's why he looked familiar.

 "Yeah I remember" I mumbled. He gave me another smile before walking off. Now I understood why all the girls fell for him. He was perfect. By the time I got back the game already started I sat back next to Robin watching the game. Finn steps up the pitcher looking up while Burce steps up twirling the bat in his hand. Finn took a step back, throwing the ball. First chance Bruce missed. Second time he also missed. "nice Finn"

On the third throw Bruce hit it as the ball flew higher and higher over the fence. Oh no. people got up from their seats walking off while I stepped out walking over to Finn.

"Man your arm is mint you almost had me, good game" Bruce said to Finn before walking off.

"Your arm is mint?" I asked, laughing a little as Finn looked down at me.

"Yeah I guess, thanks for coming (y/n)" he said smiling

"I always will" I said, holding my arm out as he pulled me close, hugging me for a few seconds before pulling away, walking off with the rest of his teammates. I waved at Robin, turning around walking off down the street heading back home passing by Bruce who was flirting a bit with two girls as I shook my head still walking down the street as a black van drove by me.