𝐅𝐢𝐯𝐞

❝𝘠𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘵𝘰𝘶𝘤𝘩 𝘣𝘳𝘰𝘶𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘯 𝘪𝘯𝘤𝘢𝘯𝘥𝘦𝘴𝘤𝘦𝘯𝘵 𝘨𝘭𝘰𝘸,𝘵𝘢𝘳𝘯𝘪𝘴𝘩𝘦𝘥, 𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘴𝘰 𝘨𝘳𝘢𝘯𝘥

𝘢𝘯 𝘪𝘯𝘤𝘢𝘯𝘥𝘦𝘴𝘤𝘦𝘯𝘵 𝘨𝘭𝘰𝘸,
𝘵𝘢𝘳𝘯𝘪𝘴𝘩𝘦𝘥, 𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘴𝘰 𝘨𝘳𝘢𝘯𝘥.❞

The weekend passed incredibly slowly for two reasons that Natalia was certain about— she was worried about how Sophie's arraignment would go Monday morning, and she couldn't stop thinking about her last interaction with Mr. Murdock.

She replayed the way he had caressed her features over and over again in her mind, all weekend. By the time Monday rolled around, the memory of how his fingertips felt against her skin was disappearing. She had less and less to hold onto as she thought back to that moment, yearning for him to touch her again so she could feel it in full force once more. The thought of his hands on her made her stomach erupt in a blaze of butterflies, constricting all the way up her spine into her chest, squeezing her heart so harshly that she felt like she couldn't breathe.

She hadn't even realized she was spaced out, staring at her coffee cup as she sat at her desk on Monday morning, until the sound of the front door opening pulled her from her daze.

The nerves in her stomach churned uneasily as she heard the voices of Mr. Murdock and what she could only guess to be the new intern talking as they entered the law firm together. The soft tone of her voice made Natalia immediately feel small, which only further irritated her— why did she care? What did the sound of this girl's voice have to do with anything? Was it because there was another intern to compete with?

For the job and for him.

No.

Rubbing her temples tiredly, Natalia groaned.

"Here, let me introduce you to our other intern."

Her back straightened as she heard Mr. Murdock's words, adjusting her blazer and fluffing her bangs quickly as she cleared her throat. She didn't feel nearly ready enough to meet this mysterious woman with the soothing voice, but she shoved her insecurities down and forced a friendly smile on her lips as a knock sounded against the office door.

Just as she suspected, the new intern was stunning. As they entered the office, she had to use every ounce of strength inside of her to keep the disappointment from showing across her features. The first thing she noticed was how tall the new girl was, her legs were long, leading all the way up to her short pencil skirt she donned. Even her black hair was long, cascading down her back and shoulders in waves that matched her voice— smooth. Her green eyes were striking, her dark mascara making them pop even more as they studied Natalia with an unreadable expression.