2 | Blackmail

2407 Xavem 02, Reshpe

The hall was littered with overlapping voices. April sat on her designated seat with her arms crossed and a frown painting her features. Beside her, Elami wore the same expression, only notches deeper.

Adviser Corlas slammed his hand against the table, making some unfortunate assistants in charge of recording the minutes flinch. From their places in the corner of the cubical hall, April could see their hunched shoulders twitch.

"We can't just stand back and let them dictate what we should and should not do!" the Adviser was saying. April resisted the urge to roll her eyes at him. The poor man could use a shave with his dark beard living longer than his tragic tuscan pets. "Send an ultimatum to those traders from Dwanzeig. They know we can't just adjust our schedule out of the blue."

April bit back her snort. The Adviser was terribly misinformed. It's not that the Grand Regals down in Dwanzeig wanted a change in trading schedules between Falkirta's merchants. They were simply requesting for Falkirta to maintain an open communication on whether to send the merchants down or not. It wasn't that hard to solve. These airheads just didn't want the hassle of understanding the other party involved.

It's a miracle the Grand Monarch was still this lenient with Falkirta. Just living on the only floating island in Umazure seemed to have filled these people's heads with air.

"Adviser, if I may," Elami raised two fingers and leaned forward, tucking her hands together above the table. After all these years, it's amazing how the woman stayed in power and at the top of her influence in the court. Eyes turned to Elami, waiting for her input.

Elami cleared her throat. "Before sending an ultimatum about schedules, I think it's best to open a communication channel with the emissaries and discuss it better that way," she said, voicing exactly what April was thinking. "When will the next stream be ready?"

All heads turned to a short sprite with dappled golden brown and white wings. Her mousse brown hair was braided as usual, her crimson-rimmed spectacles catching the artificial light from the pearly chandeliers above them with an ominous glint. Even so, Adviser Pernice looked like she couldn't even harm a zirloree even if it bit her.

Pernice pushed her spectacles up her nose, glancing at the glass-paned windows barring the strong gusts of wind blowing outside the Palace and through the streets of Azorgend. "According to the recent data collection made by my team, the next stream should be possible at around next Briss," she said. "Will that be an acceptable time?"

Elami nodded, her limp brown hair now bobbed to the base of her chin bouncing with the motion. "Relay that to the emissaries and we will see what they come up with," she said. "Prepare for the stream while we wait for them."

Adviser Pernice turned back to the sheets of parchment attached to her board, her fingers sporting a quill, already noting her added assignment. April kind of liked the woman. Pernice was a hard worker, patient, and well, her expertise in Falkirta's mostly unpredictable weather was valuable.