6 | Golden

2407 Varkala 13, Briss

The town closest to the Palace bled as a montage of red and beige in April's eyes as she darted through the clear expanse, flapping her feathery white wings as she went. She would rather be working on drawing up some provisions regarding the tourist guidelines in Starvale but Runa had urged her to take a break when her brain was no longer working.

So, without much of a fight, April changed out of her loose, white robes she only wore inside her room, and donned her light armor. It wasn't like the bulky full armor most soldiers in Vafron were known to wear every day. Instead, April wore a half a breastplate that stopped by her midriff, shoulder and elbow pads, followed by tailored arm greaves.

As she flew, her sheathed sword hanging on for dear life by her leather belt waved with the gusts of wind brought about her glide. Her legs felt right at home in tight trousers, fitted shin guards and knee pads, and leather boots. They warded off the cold wind billowing around April well.

The nearest trading town was a few distances from the Palace. Behind her the rising silhouette of the mountain ranging from Azorgend towards Vafrom stood unmoving, forever the silent guard over everything. From its sides, the noticeable outline of the marble building April knew to be the Temple of Air waved at her without shame. Perhaps April should drop by and offer something to Pidmena to appease the goddess and prevent her from taking April into her embrace too soon.

Then, April shook her head. What use was it if Pidmena already decreed it? Besides, if gods were really real, how come they never stopped people from not believing in them? If April had the power of a god, she would never let anyone claim she didn't exist. Yet, no lightning rained from the sky. No voice descending from the heavens halted April from her flight. Yup. Proved her point.

When the town's square showed up, characterized by the gap in the blocks of red and orange roofs dotting the carpet of civilization on the valley bleeding off from the mountain, April tucked her wings. She sucked in a breath as she dove, letting the pull of the earth grip her form. The wind roared in her ears and drove the plait of her blond braid back as she hurtled down. Then, as the town's beige cobblestones neared, she spread her wings in its longest stretch, catching the wind and stopping her fall into a light hover. With a few flaps, her soles tapped lightly against the ground.

The town's square was, in fact, a circular patch of land void of buildings save for a huge fountain slotted in the middle. Sprites with all the possible kinds of wings and clothes milled around, passed her by for being absorbed in their own activities, or disappeared into the nearby shops after crossing the square.

April had been to this town many times before but it seemed like there was always something that changed since the last time she visited. The tome store near the lip of the alley northwest of the fountain had been replaced by a shop seemingly selling a couple of used machineries. When did that happen? If not for the other shops around it, April wouldn't have known it was the spot she knew before.