Chapter Eighteen

I woke up to someone shaking me lightly and I blinked myself awake, looking up to see who it was.

"Chiara, Alessandro knows we were out all night. We need to get back to the mansion." Adam said.

I pinched the bridge of my nose and sighed, pushing myself to sit up on the sofa that I found myself sleeping on last night. 

"What did you tell him?" I asked, groggily.
"I told him I wasn't allowed to tell him what we were doing and that we would be back soon after his meeting at your father's house."

I nodded, "Okay. Have we had any updates on the missing girl?"

"We have a couple leads, we just need to follow up on them." Corey explained, taking a sip of his coffee.

"Okay." I ran a hand through my hair and got up. "I'm going to get ready and talk to Angelo. All of you wait down here."

I wasted no time going upstairs and headed straight to the guest bathroom, locking the door behind me. Pulling the burner phone out of my bra, I dialled the number and put the phone to my ear.

"Fourth time, late again. Goddamit, can't you stay on time for once?"

"I'm sorry," I sighed, "but there was an incident that needed my full attention and I was up all night dealing with it."
"Angelo's kid, right?"

I paused. "How the fuck do you know that?"

"It's our job to know, but it's also our job to do. He thought that it would get your attention and it would make you call earlier but you're still late as ever."

"Fuck! Do you know how hard I've been busting my ass all night to save my friend from his misery and you thought kidnapping his child was the way to get my attention?" I whisper-yelled into the phone. "Where is she?"

"You aren't getting any information until you tell us why your husband is planning to merge his company with your father's."

"He's what? God, look- I didn't know about that. Apparently he went to a meeting at my father's today, maybe that's what the meeting was about but I swear I didn't know. He still hates me."

"We believe you Martinez, we just need you to work faster."

"We have to fall in love first; this marriage will fall apart before it's even started."

"Work on getting him to like you first. I have traced your friend Adam's number and will send him a tip as to where the girl is. She's alone but there are a few traps. Consider this a test. Protect yourself and your group, and the girl will be freed. Don't disappoint, Martinez."

The call was cut and I heard nothing more from the person. Just as I washed my face and finished brushing my teeth, someone began knocking on the door.

"Chiara, we got a message." Said Adam from the other side.

I opened the door and replied, "Who's it from? What does it say?"

"I don't know who but it's a location. Think we might find either a clue or the girl there. No one's told Angelo, so how about we scope out the place and see if she's there."

He gave me a nod and headed downstairs. I tucked the phone away and looked at the new phone Ale had-

Woah. Ale? Since when did I give him a nickname like that?

Sighing to myself, I opened my phone and checked any notifications. I saw many missed calls from Alessandro and thought I would call him to put his mind at ease, knowing he didn't need it but I felt bad anyways.