35

𝐒𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐃𝐀𝐍, 𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐕𝐄, 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐍𝐀𝐍𝐂𝐘 were far too drunk to notice the awkward love triangle they were dancing in. their punch kicked in almost instantly, and that, mixed with duran duran's "girls on film", was a deadly combination. steve chuckled as he heard the song's opening camera clicks, watching dani's face light up with joy. his mind was immediately sent to the closet collage.

sherrie's makeup was still mostly intact, with dull red streaks of punch staining the corners of her mouth and dripping down the front of her sweater. her once slicked-back hair was in a big, tussled mess atop her head that resembled her normal hairstyle more than it didn't. but, once again, her punch prohibited her from noticing.

nancy wheeler was practically in her own world. she slowly spun around to the fast-paced tune, cup in hand. sherrie also still had her cup, but it was empty now and had been for a while. she set it on top of the stereo at her side. she took steve's hand in hers, lifting it up in the air for the boy to spin. his laughter vibrated through her ribcage. electricity sparked at their touch.

nancy couldn't help but notice the pair dancing together. she shoved past them, her shoulder harshly bumping steve's. he stumbled on his feet. his beaming expression fell as he watched nancy make a mad dash for the punch bowl yet again. steve's hand loosened from dani's as he chased after nancy. the red-headed girl followed closely behind. "no, no, no," steve protested, nancy aiming for the bowl just over the island's edge.

the boy held nancy's arm back as she fought his tight grip. "get off!" she cried. despite only saying two words, anyone with a brain could hear them slurring together.

sheridan rushed to the side of the island even though she wouldn't be much help. "nancy, come on; if i can put the drink down, so can you," she joked as she tried to grab her cup.

"you? stop drinking?" nancy inquired, her head tilted and brows furrowed. "that's a first, dani." the shaffer girl stepped back. nancy had never said anything like that, let alone to sheridan.

sherrie's mouth fell open in complete and utter astonishment. nancy had plunged a knife into her heart and had given it a final twist. she was nearly awestricken at nancy's bravery. steve glanced at the girl momentarily, and he could see the rage that fueled the fire in her eyes.

"you know what, nancy? you're right! that's so not like me!" dani played along. she took another cup and dunked it into the bowl. nancy and steve watched attentively, thinking that she was just helping herself to another cup. "let me grab another one," she spat. and before she knew it, sheridan had launched the cup's contents at the wheeler girl.

the room went silent, duran duran humming lowly in the background. dark punch coated the front of nancy's white blouse, part of her matching risky business costume with steve. the girl smirked at the sight of her tarnished shirt. "dani, what the hell?!" steve hollered. the anger in his voice was crystal clear.

the redhead tossed the cup on the ground and headed for the front doors, tears pervading her eyes. her body collided with a plethora of her peers on her way out of the house. she slammed the entrance shut behind her, wiping tears as she trudged down the concrete path. sheridan wrapped her arms around herself in attempt to shield herself from the bitter cold; it was a complete 360 from the heat of the sea of party-goers. the girl started the way they had come, without the two people she had arrived with. despite the unbearable pain her feet were in, she walked all the way home in her favorite boots. when the girl waddled through the front door, drunk and tired and in pain, you would've thought joyce had a heart attack.