41

❝𝐘𝐎𝐔'𝐑𝐄 𝐏𝐎𝐒𝐈𝐓𝐈𝐕𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐃𝐀𝐑𝐓?❞ lucas questioned. sheridan could hear the disbelief in his voice; she was surprised he had told her, and steve no less, before one of his best friends. but had he not dragged the older teens along to discover dart's remnants, dani wouldn't have believed him either. dustin's creepy pet had turned its back on him and was on the hunt for revenge.

the group of five sauntered along the railroad tracks from whence they'd came. sherrie walked next to steve, a spark of electricity coursing through her body as her shoulder brushed against his with each step. "yes. he had the exact same yellow pattern on his butt," dustin confirmed.

"why're you checking him out, dude?" sheridan snickered. steve had joined her, laughing at the girl's joke. dustin's face contorted with disgust; he did not have the patience to deal with her teasing at this hour.

"he was tiny two days ago," max insisted.

"well, he's molted three times already," dustin informed.

steve's brows dipped in confusion. "malted?"

"like a shake?" sherrie asked. she was absolutely starving. her stomach had been drug through hell and back today with everything that she's seen; and if she remembered correctly, she hadn't eaten in about 24 hours.

"molted. shed his skin to make room for growth like hornworms."

"god, i'm gonna be sick," sheridan interjected. steve exhaled a laugh, and began running a comforting hand up and down her back.

"when's he gonna molt again?" max queried.

"it's gotta be soon. when he does, he'll be fully grown, or close to it," dustin enlightened. "and so will his friends."

"yeah, and he's gonna eat a lot more than just cats," steve stated. him and sherrie continued forward, as max, lucas, and dustin fell behind. once dani had noticed their absence, she stopped and turned around, and tugged on steve's jacket to make sure he did, as well.

"wait, a cat?" lucas asked. his hand was firmly gripping dustin's shoulder. "dart ate a cat?!"

"no, what? no!" dustin denied. he shook his head with his statement, but no one was buying it.

"god, you're a terrible liar; i taught you wrong," sheridan quipped again.

"yeah, he ate mews," steve added.

"mews? who's mews?" max asked, her gaze landing on steve. sherrie could see the moonlight gleaming against the sweat gathering above dustin's lip; sheridan did her best to contain her laughter. she hid her quaint smile beneath the sleeve of her sweater.

"it's dustin's cat-" the harrington boy began, before being cut off.