Call of Distant Lands

You were sitting in your usual spot, helping your younger cousins with a needlepoint. Lyanna, the older one, was finishing up her work, the blue petals with green leaves already forming on a fabric.

"It is quite good, Lyanna." Septa Marei said before switching to another sister. It was early in the morning and it was cold. Typical weather for Winterfell. "I remember how Y/n first got into needlework, it was as beautiful as yours when she was your age."

"You flatter me, Septa." Returning the unfinished canvas to your cousin, you smiled to Marei. It was a tedious work, for as long as you could remember, but a necessary one for all young ladies, as she you used to say.

"I speak the truth, Y/n." She answered. You sat stick straight in your chair and moved your consideration over to the other cousin. "I wonder how your mother will do with preparations to Cregan's wedding now after such sorrow news."

You couldn't tell what it was, if the sudden silence that fell on the room or the loud sound of the wooden door being shut by the wind. What you did know, though, was that all of a sudden you looked up. "What news?"

Setting aside the fabric, Septa Marei moved closer to you, comfortable in the deepest quietness. "The raven sent a letter to your parents this morning. It is about the Vale. Lady Rhea Royce has passed."

"Oh" you said, your voice slightly trembling with the expectation of what would follow next. "I feel so sorry for her family. What happened?"

Septa just shook her head still not believing what she was about to say quietly. "She fell off the horse. It is quite strange, considering her high interest in horse riding and hunting, those were her hobbies."

"I can't imagine what her relatives go through right now. And her husband." You spoke quietly.

"For all I know, her husband is far away from her, fighting some war that is not his to fight. Quite strange these Targaryens are."

"Septa!"

"What? I speak the truth."

Sitting at the fireplace, watching from the window that faced directly on the inner garden, through which you could see the pear trees that was almost frozen, you remembered Daemon. Over ten months passed since your last encounter with him and no news were heard from him. Sometimes you feared that the news came but your father did not want to share it with you. To your relief and fear, and your own exploration, there was indeed no news from Daemon. Only a gentle reminder of him hanging around your neck.

"I will go and practice." You said.

The older woman hummed. "Alright. The morning is mine anyway."

A low sough left the woman's lips when you were about to leave "...it is not the only news the raven sent." Unfaltering expression you listened with intent.

"Yes, what is it?" Shifting uncomfortably in your place, you cleared your throat.

"He raised a white flag." Septa sent you a glance. "Surrendered to the Crabfeeder."

Gulping down the lump in your throat, you didn't move at all. "Perhaps there should have been some ending to this war in the end."

"And I know you are not repulsed by him, quite the contrary." She continued. "We tend to be attracted to the forbidden. What I'm trying to say is, be aware for he is a very dangerous person."

You nodded, understanding Septa's concerns and turned partially to the door way. "All this time, you think I did not learn my lesson?"

Before waiting for an answer, you left the room. After collecting your weapons, you took your horse before disappearing into the woods. How could he surrender? Is it what you meant when saying goodbye to him? Of course not. He must be a fool. None of this made sense.

Making sure you're far away from home, you glanced up at the sky, vacant of clouds except those furthest away from the gleaming orb. Rounding a corner near the trees, you puttered along with your thoughts till a shadowy figure lurking above you nabbed your attention. On high alert you looked up at the same sky but nothing was out of ordinary.

You shook your head recalling if you had a drink that morning. Concluding with a negative answer, you stopped completely at what seemed to you like a faint roar. You went completely silent, listening for any sound that would've told you something was close. Your voice broke through the cold morning air, "Daemon?"

Astonished you could not help but smile at your own assumption that he might be there. What a tempting thought it was to assume that the dragon could fly all the way to the North just to see her. In fact, you didn't know for sure if that was what you wanted. It was some time in this trance before you closed your eyes and pursed lips together. "You are getting delusional." Your voice barely above a whisper, more tired than anything else.

"Is that so?"

----
fun fact: whenever i write a new chapter, i turn on Judas, slowed version. It helps me represent Daemon for who he truly is and overall capture the vibe of this story.