Episode 1 - Introduction

Marinette Dupain-Cheng, walking home, found herself in a worse mood than usual. It wasn't bad enough for any detectable negative feelings to be emitted into the atmosphere and picked up by Hawkmoth. No, she knew how to keep her feelings in check.

But there was definitely an unsettled feeling, a pit in her stomach. She wished Alya were there to comfort her, but her best friend was off with Nino.

It was Adrien that had set her on edge. He and Kagami were too... chummy. They were hardly ever apart, and it killed her to watch. She'd harbored a crush on Adrien for years, ever since he'd handed her that umbrella. She'd felt an undeniable connection, but after so long of waiting for him to reciprocate, he never noticed the obvious: they were destined to be together, as more than just friends.

She had begun to doubt that was ever going to happen.

Marinette grit her teeth and pushed the thoughts away. She couldn't be akumatized. She was Ladybug, it was her job to save the akumatized victims of Paris. Save them from the evil wrath of Hawkmoth.

She loved being Ladybug. She never felt so free as when she was dashing across Paris's rooftops, saving her beloved city. She loved the gratitude and admiration she found on the faces of those she saved. She felt like she mattered. She was a better person with the mask.

The door rang to the entrance of her home, and she was greeted by the sweet smell of the bakery. Her father was behind the counter, dressed in his apron and casualwear, all of which was coated with flour.

Sabine noticed her daughter and came to kiss her cheeks. But when she pulled away, she noticed the uncharacteristically gloomy look in Marinette's eyes.

"Mari?" she asked. "Is something wrong?"

"No," her daughter sighed. "It's just boy trouble." That's all it is, she tried to tell herself. Sabine's brows knitted in concern, but she decided not to press the issue, believing her daughter was a strong and capable young woman.

"Well, if there's anything I can help with, just let me know," she replied. "Now come try my new recipe." The worried mother led her daughter to the kitchen and handed her a plate which already carried a slice of freshly baked cake. Marinette broke off a small piece and brought it to her mouth. She chewed thoughtfully for a moment then said, "It's delicious. I think we should add it to our menu."

Sabine clapped her hands with delight. "Great! Do you have any homework, Marinette?"

"Some," Marinette told her. "I'll be in my room. I'll probably stay there for a while, I'm a little tired." In truth, she would not be in her room but rather out on the streets, behind her mask, performing her heroely duties.