Episode 2 - Scream

Marinette approached her computer and clicked the screen to life. She tuned in to Paris's local news coverage and the familiar anchor, Nadia Chamack. Her kid was one Marinette had babysat on multiple occasions, and although the child had a slightly bratty side, they always enjoyed their time together.

Once again, there was an akumatized victim roaming the city, looking to stir up trouble. As much as Marinette loved fighting crime and proving her worth in the battle against Hawkmoth, she was in no mood to sort out other people's problems when she could hardly fix her own life. Her thoughts returned to Adrien, how she'd seen Kagami, latched to his arm. She hated the way he looked at her. There was something in his eyes when he saw Kagami she never found when he looked at her.

Only Chat Noir, her superhero partner, had ever been in love with her. But she'd rejected him and now it seemed he was distracted by someone else. He no longer made the flirty remarks she'd always heard from his lips. And the look on his face wasn't the same when he saw her as it once was.

"Spots on!" she declared, forcing herself into a better mood. She had to focus. Paris depended on her success, as it usually did.

Her kwami, Tikki, spread her magic over her and it formed her textured spotted uniform. The mask spread over her face and a magic cloud fell over her so no one would be able to recognize her. Her energy heightened and her body strengthened, she hurried onto the balcony and launched herself off the railing.

She opened the communicator on her yoyo and dialed for Chat Noir. "Chat," she said, breathing normally even though she was sprinting on the rooftops, trying to catch up with the akumatized victim. "Are you there already?"

"Yes, M'lady."

He'd always called her that, but recently, when he said it, it sounded different. She ignored it and pushed on.

Hawkmoth's new minion was clowning around in the park. It was a young girl with yellow eyes, purple hair, and pale skin that thinly concealed thick black veins that looked like tree roots beneath her skin.

She screamed loudly and everyone in close vicinity fell down, covering their ears. Chat Noir was already battling the girl, darting this way and that and batting her with his stick.

"Chat!" Ladybug called. He glanced up at her, distracted for just a moment too long. The girl spun around and shrieked, sending Chat Noir tumbling to the ground. He laid there for a moment, waiting for his ears to stop ringing and the world to stop shaking. The villain made a mad grab for him but missed when he rolled to the side. Recovered, he sprang to his feet and bounded to his partner.

"I'm so sorry, Chat," Ladybug sighed, disappointed with herself.

"Don't worry, M'lady. We all make mistakes." It was true, and this was not the biggest one she'd ever made. She still clearly remembered the kidnapping of Master Fu by Hawkmoth and how it was her own fault for getting him kidnapped. Now he was a normal person, with no memory of his large role in Ladybug's making. She was the guardian, but not by choice.

"This looks like it'll be a rough day," he continued, his voice returning her to the present.

"Yes," she agreed, tightening her fists in determination. "We need to find a way to stop her from using her voice. Then she's practically defenseless."

"And how do we do that?" Chat asked her. He surveyed their opponent, who had busied herself by screaming at anyone in her proximity, trying to draw them out. Ladybug stared but her concentration bore no answers. Feeling horribly inadequate, she raised her hand to the sky, slinging out her yoyo, and shouted, "Lucky Charm!"

Two red and black spotted pairs of headphones fell from the magical spray of her powers into her hands. She handed one to Chat and stated the obvious, "Put this on."

They both covered their ears with the new items and found music was playing, rather loudly, through them.

Chat quirked a brow. "You're using your Lucky Charm this early in the battle? Are you sure that was the best idea?"

Irked, Ladybug huffed, feeling defensive. "Yes, Chat. It was the right choice. I'm sure of it. Why do you always have to question me?" She glared at him through her mask. He sighed and replied, "Ladybug, are you alright?"

"Fine, Chat." 

At Ladybug's signal, they both ran to attack the girl, Chat Noir twirling his staff and Ladybug spinning her yoyo. With a flick of her wrist, the black wire spun around her target's legs. The girl fell to the ground and released a powerful scream that only pushed a soft gust of wind into their faces.

Ladybug roughly jerked her hair back. She caterwauled louder than ever before and despite the headphones, she lost her grip and fell to the ground. She was met by soft, wet grass, nearly missing the concrete. Peeling her aching eyes open, she swept the legs of her opponent.

Chat pulled himself off the ground and went on the offensive. He attacked Hawkmoth's pawn and set her sliding through the grass. While she lay there, the breath knocked from her, he moved closer and tore off her hairclip in one swift motion. She screamed again and it pushed him backwards, the clip falling from his hand.

Luckily, Ladybug was there to grab the clip and quickly, unceremoniously deakumatize the girl. When she was returned to normal and the situation had been explained, Ladybug pulled Chat Noir aside, wanting to speak to him without the listening ears and the watchful eyes of admiring Paris citizens.