Episode 21 - New Kind of Normal

Ladybug dragged herself closer to the edge of the tower. It took great effort and she struggle to breathe. Her slow progress left a streak of blood on the floor. Every movement hurt but she grit her teeth and pushed on.

With her hands, she pulled herself to the very edge of the tower. Then, with much effort, she let send her yoyo flying. Felix noticed it just in time. He let go of Scarlet Moth to keep falling to his death and seized the yoyo. Up he climbed until he could grab hold of the tower and hoist himself to safety.

Smack.

Scarlet Moth's cry ended abruptly as he landed in a bloody heap on the ground. His eyes remained open, clouded and unblinking. The dreaded villain of Paris was dead.

But soon, he and Marinette would share the same fate.

Suddenly, white moths flew from Felix's different pieces of clothing. With the holder now dead, their services were no longer needed. Felix's wolf parts all disappeared. He was a normal human again, freed from his prison.

But he hardly noticed any of this as he rushed to Marinette's side. Chat was already there, cradling her head in his arms.

"We need to get her to a hospital."

"Felix?" Chat Noir exclaimed. Felix eyed him warily but didn't reply as the superhero scooped up his fallen partner. Her eyes fluttered but didn't open. Felix grasped her limp hand.

"Get on my back," Chat Noir commanded. "We have to hurry." Felix doubted he could hold the both of them, but he didn't protest and did as he was told. He didn't want to be separate from Marinette until he was certain she was safe.

Chat Noir ran faster than ever before. Ladybug became first priority at the hospital. Marinette was dimly aware of her surroundings, fading in and out of consciousness. The hospital staff got to her immediately and she was taken into surgery.

***

"Marinette."

She raised her eyes to face the speaker. It was Felix.

"Felix? Where am I?" She examined her hands and her clothes under the covers. She wasn't in uniform. "Where's my suit?"

Felix kneeled by her beside. He took her hand and kissed her fingers softly. "Don't worry. Hawkmoth is dead. You don't have to hide your identity anymore."

"Does Chat..." she couldn't finish the sentence, but Felix understood exactly what she meant. He squeezed her hand gently and nodded.

"He knows. He's waiting to speak to you."

"Just... let him in," she decided. A minute later, Adrien Agreste was standing before her. She stared at him, mouth agape, eyes wide in surprise. She'd been in love with Adrien and this whole time he'd loved her back? How silly!

But Marinette was undeniably relieved they missed each other. If it had been any other way, she probably wouldn't have fallen for Felix. 

Adrien's face was dark and sad. He was orphaned. Luckily, at age seventeen, he was already a legal adult and could live on his own. Unluckily, he had no desire to live alone.

"I'm sorry, Adrien," Marinette told him. "That's more than anyone should have to bear."

"It's okay," he replied, not feeling at all okay.

***

In Paris, Ladybug and Chat Noir's services were no longer necessary. Marinette, still the keeper of the miraculouses, hid them from the world. Adrien and Felix lived in the house Gabriel could no longer use. Adrien often spent his time with Kagami. While it would have made her jealous before, now she didn't really care. She spent most of her time with Felix.

He was almost always at her house and even spent nights there. Her father was slightly less attentive to her needs, still heavily shaken by his wife's death. Marinette wasn't over it either, nor would she ever be. There would always be a hole in her heart, but she could live with it. She had to.

She and Felix began officially dating. They spent almost every waking moment together. They also double dated with Luka and his girlfriend often.

Their lives had found a new kind of normal.