Episode 18 - Ladybug

"Worthless!"

Scarlet Moth's voice thundered his secret layer. Vex stood before him, angrily gritting his teeth, unwilling to act afraid.

"I gave you those powers so you'd get the miraculouses! You haven't even gotten close!" He slammed his foot on the floor. "You've hardly even tried!"

"You did this to me against my will!" Felix shouted back. "Our agendas are not the same!"

Scarlet Moth approached him, his steps echoing loudly. Before Vex even had time to blink, Gabriel's fist slammed into his face. He stumbled backwards, his hand flying up to cradle his face. Blood gushed from his nose.

"I don't care about your agenda!" he shouted. "Your feelings are not important to me! I want those miraculouses! I should kill you, you're so useless!" He grabbed his shoulder and flung him backwards. Felix was thrown to the ground, his head smacking on the metal floor. The room spun and he didn't think he'd be able to stand.

Instead of one Scarlet Moth, he saw three exiting the layer. Black spots danced in his vision. He could hardly stand the sharp, unceasing pain that refused to release his head. Blood poured from his nose. All he wanted to do was let her eyes closed but he knew it was time to get rid of Scarlet Moth once and for all.

***

"Ladybug!" Chat shook her forcefully. She blinked, dazed. The chaos inside her head suddenly quieted. She felt empty and exhausted.

"Are you better now?" he asked her. She nodded although she wasn't sure she was. He pulled her close and wrapped her in his protective embrace.

***

The next few days, Felix went to school and for some reason Marinette did not. He worried it had been his kiss that scared her off, remembering how she'd rushed out of school.

His thoughts were also consumed by Scarlet Moth. He didn't know how and he didn't know when, but he'd end his reign over his life.

The next week, when Marinette finally did return, she looked very different from the last time he saw her. She wore a red and black hoodie, her hair was in a messy ponytail, and there were dark circles under her eyes. Felix was certain it wasn't because of the kiss.

She sank into the seat beside him and buried her head in her arms.

"Marinette?" he whispered. He inched closer to her, instantly gripped by mounting concern. "Mari? What's wrong?"

"I-I need to tell you something," she muttered. Her eyes were dark and sad, and he wished he could erase that look from her face. "I'll tell you at lunch."

For hours he waited to hear what it was she had to tell him. He had a sneaking suspicion he knew what it was, but he couldn't bring himself to admit it. It couldn't be possible. He wouldn't even consider it.

At lunch, neither of them bothered with purchasing food. Marinette had barely eaten in days. She'd remained in her room, only leaving to fight akumatized victims. Her father was locked in his own room and the bakery was closed.

This time, when they entered the janitor's closet, Marinette locked the door, unwilling to be interrupted.

"What do you want to tell me?" Felix asked, curiosity eating away at him.

"I have a confession to make," she announced. "I don't know why I'm telling you. I've never told anyone before. I just feel like I have to say it. You must never repeat it to anyone."

He nodded importantly. Whatever she had to say, it wouldn't leave the closet.

"I... I'm..." she struggled to find the words. She'd been so determined to keep it a secret it was difficult to let it out now. "I'm Ladybug."