Chapter One: Introduction

♡︎

It was around 12:10 am on a regular chill Thursday night. Aliayah was just finishing up on her shift, ready to head out. In the kitchen near the back washing the few dishes the last few customers left. wiping the seat off her forehead due to the heat intensity boiling in the kitchen, mixed with the warmth of dish water beneath her hands. Popping her neck while scrubbing the access gunk on a plate. The door across from her opened as a woman walked inside. Aliayah took a quick glance up to see her co-worker Walking in with a bucket of towels and cloths sitting it down on the container in front of her. The woman stretched, letting out a tired groan, her attention going straight to Aliayah. 

"Busting your back on them dishes huh?" She asks with a teasing smile. Aliayah scoffs a smile creeping on her lips. "Need the money Mia. Ain't nun wrong with putting in the extra work." 

"Uh, when you ain't getting paid for it it is." The woman, Mia remarks. Her hand on her waist with a sour expression on her face. Aliayah shakes her head while pulling her hands out of the sink after letting the water out, drying her hands on a nearby towel. "I talked to him already girl. said he'll make sure all my hours add up correctly to my paycheck this time." 

Mia scoffs. "He's playing you girl. You know that fat bitch ain't giving you all your money. The nigga damn near broke himself! If I was you I'll lawyer the fuck up. I'm not letting a bum dog me out of my money. Especially if I earned it." Aliayah giggles at her friend's statement. Though, she knew she was right. Their boss was indeed a Broke Bum and he lived off his parents and half of his employees paychecks.  "I have a feeling that this time he'll do right." Aliayah says while cleaning off the countertops, putting the dirty towels in a bin. "And if he doesn't?" Mia questions. Aliayah removes her apron and hangs it on the wall, heading out the kitchen as Mia tags along behind her. "Then I'll see his ass in court." Mia laughs and playfully nudges her friend. "I know that's right!" Aliayah rolls her eyes at her excitement as she grabs her belongings.  "What's right?" Said a voice from behind her. It was her other co-worker, Kianna. She wasn't friends with her but Mia was.

"Nun girl, why are you still here? Didn't your shift end an hour ago?" Mia and kianna began to chat up while Aliayah headed towards the door. "I'm leaving now, take the night shift easy, okay?" She slightly raises her voice.

"Alright girl,  see you tomorrow, be safe!" Mia says, waving to her before going right back to her conversation. 

That night, Aliayah catched the bus on her way back home. She was lucky for it to be empty around this time of night. During the day it was crowded and hard to find a spot, during the night time route it was only a few people. Containing drunks, and homeless folks. People getting off work and creeps. After surviving the ride she had to walk a little bit more to reach her apartment. "God, I need to get me a car asap.." she mumbled while walking up the loud metal stairs to her door. While unlocking the door and opening it, a red piece of paper slipped from the crack and onto her carpet floor. Picking it up she frowns at the Bold font of black words: "NOTICE" and the text below it saying "Rent past due, adding up to a 2 week notice. If not paid by the end of this month we will proceed with eviction" Aliayah throws down the notice letter on her table, next to the other 3 letters. Kicking off her shoes and heading straight to the bathroom to shower. 

After she was settled and cared for, Aliayah feasted on a bowl of spicy noodles and ice tea while working on her work for school. Aliayah is a student at Peakview University majoring in Dance. She takes every shift she can get at her job as a waitress near her Apartment and a tutor for a few of her college colleagues. Needing the money to survive and finishing paying off her tuition. She's about 10,000 behind and it's creating both physical and mental damage to her health.