14) transfiguration

They had to study the night skies through their telescopes every Wednesday at midnight and learn the names of different stars and the movements of the planets. Three times a week they went out to the greenhouses behind the castle to study Herbology, with a  witch called Professor Sprout, where they learnt how to take care of all the strange plants and fungi and found out what they were used for.

Easily the most boring lesson was History of Magic, which was the only class taught by a ghost. Professor Binns had been very old indeed when he had fallen asleep in front of the staff-room fire and got up next morning to teach, leaving his body behind him. Binns droned on and on while they scribbled down names and dates and got Emeric the Evil and Uric the Oddball mixed up.

Professor Flitwick, the Charms teacher, was a tiny little wizard who had to stand on a pile of books to see over his desk.

Professor McGonagall was again different. Strict and clever, she gave them a talking-to the moment they had sat down in her first class.

Sofia sat with Pansy in the second last bench.

Draco and Tom sat together on the last bench, behind Sofia and Pansy.

Matt and Enzo said infrount of Sofia and Pansy.

Like charms work, Transfiguration is achieved through concentration, precise wand movements, and the proper pronunciation of an incantation. However it is generally more difficult than Charms and requires great effort. Each particular subject roughly takes up two weeks time. Every class is two hours long

Transfiguration is some of the most complex and dangerous magic you will learn at Hogwarts,’ Professor McGonagall said. ‘Anyone messing around in my class will leave and not come back. You have been warned.’

Then she changed her desk into a pig and back again. They were all very impressed and couldn’t wait to get started, but soon realised they weren’t going to be changing the furniture into animals for a long time. After making a lot of complicated notes, they were each given a match and started trying to turn it into a needle.

only Tom was able to do it correctly resulting in receiving praises from the professor.

Hermione Granger had made any difference to her match; Professor McGonagall showed the class how it had gone all silver and pointy and gave Hermione a rare smile that she usually gave Tom only.

Sofia managed to make a little difference.

The matchstick turned into silver but it was not pointy.

'Try a little harder. You need to concentrate, you are almost there' Professor McGonagall, told Sofia.

Sofia just nodded in response.

Pansy on the other hand did not even bother trying.

" aren't you a year younger?" The professor asked Sofia.

"Yes but Professor Dumbledore wishes me to be in second year " Sofia said.

"Ohh. Well you will have a little trouble in second year since you never really attended first year" she said.

" I will try to arrange a tutor for you. I will inform you when" she said.

" ohh ok thank you" Sofia said while smiling.

"For a person that has never tried this before, you have done pretty good" she said.

"I have great expectations from you" she said.

Sofia smiled awkwardly.

" Miss Parkinson, sit straight and could you actually try it for once" she said strictly.