Chapter 12: Mae Kazimi

"You got shot?" Fayyaz asks for the fifth time. We're walking down the hall and he's getting exceptionally loud. "Are you for real?"

"Bro, shut up," I pull him towards the door. "People are staring."

He pretends to flip his nonexistent long hair, "Obviously. You're literally walking with a hot and famous person who is escorting you to his car."

"You must be talking about your dad," I shoot him a wink.

He makes a barfing face, "Never mind, you're no longer invited in my car."

"You're dad bought you that car," I remind him as we cross the street and walk towards the parking lot. "With the money he made working with us."

"You constantly remind me why I strongly dislike you," he mutters and opens the car door for me like a true gentleman. "Please take a seat in my extremely expensive car I bought with my father's money because I am a broke university student."

I clap my hands as he slams the door in my face. His car is a black Porsche. I don't know what type but it's black and says the words "Porsche" on the back so that's what it must be.

"First right thing you've said," I tell him as he gets inside and starts the car. "You look much younger when you tell the truth, you know?"

Fayyaz scowls, peeling down the road faster than he should be going. And then we're zooming down the street, passing honking cars and the breeze catching my hair through the open window.

This is why I love keeping the window open in the car. I love the feeling of cool breeze running through my hair and the smell of fresh air as we zoom past the beautiful scenery. It's better looking through the window without a clear glass blocking your view and keeping you detached.

"Where do you want me to drop you off today, madam?" he asks, stopping at a red light.

I look out the window, humming in response, "Starbucks. I'll tell you where to stop."

This earns a loud sigh from him and a smile from me. Honestly, he was the one who volunteered to drive me because both our parents have been bothering us about getting married for our 'image' and a little bit of pretending would go a long way. For the both of us.

Ever since I moved in with my parents to make our family look more 'family-like' I've had to move most of my things from my penthouse atop Madison Square Park. Now, my house remains empty, waiting for me to move back in one day when I am ready. Moving in with my family keeps me closer to school and to Hale's place, both less than twenty minutes away on good days. On bad days, it can simply take an hour to get there.

But that's why I have my bike.

My phone buzzes inside my pocket and I fish it out, scrambling to press the button to accept the call. Hale's name appears on the screen and I put the phone to my ear.

"Hellooo?"

I hear a loud sigh from the other end, "Mae Kazimi, you're late. Again."

"Okay, in my defence it's Fayyaz's fault because he's the one driving me there–"

Fayazz takes a sharp right turn, "hey!"

"-but we are literally right there." I finish cheekly. "Please make sure the food doesn't get cold, you know I hate cold food."

"Everyone hates cold food, Mae," Hale says and I know he's rolling his eyes on the other end. "How was class today? I heard the midterm season is coming soon."

I groan and slouch in the front seat, "Bro, why did you remind me? I haven't studied a thing because I don't know what to study. I don't even know what we're learning!"