Chapter 19: Mae Kazimi

Kai picked us up from the side of the road after fifteen minutes of waiting. Surprisingly, Diego didn't say a single word. He didn't protest about coming with me to the underground drug market, he didn't mention anything about Tala and he didn't ask me about the small little bottle inside my hands.

I am thankful he didn't. But I know his silence won't last long.

Now, we all sit in Hale's office. There is a long eerie silence after I finish explaining to him about our little trip to Tala's place. I know he remembers her by the way he rakes his fingers through his long bushy beard. It's almost completely white now just like his long hair that's swept in a big man bun, but his face doesn't look too old for his age. The stress that comes with the job has coloured his hair.

"Mae," he says very softly. "You know what I say about dwelling in underground business."

I reply with equal softness, "It's the same you said about mafia business."

"And you know where that led you."

"Yes," I say quietly. "But you know why I have to do this."

Avery sits angrily in the corner, eyes red. I think she's been crying. Before Diego and I had arrived, Kai had warned us. He'd said there had been a huge argument between them so it would be better if I treaded lightly.

Rashid sits on Hale's office chair, typing away on a laptop. He pretends to ignore the conversation, a bored expression on his face like he doesn't care. That's usually what he does whenever we are having important conversations. It's his since-whatever-I-say-won't-make-you-listen-then-see-if-I-care-if-you-die-you-ugly-piece-of-trash signature look.

Diego meets my eyes from across the room. Him and Yan sit silently, allowing us to finish our conversation.

I take a deep breath, "Hale–"

"You can go on one condition," he says, eyes hard. "I'm the driver."

I frown, "Hale, that's freaking dangerous you can't just–"

"You can't just walk into underground business either, Mae! Despite what I've told you since a young age, you still meddled with the mafia. And you know exactly where that got you. Why don't you know when to stop?"

"I can't stop!" I raise my voice. "Please, this is the last time I promise. I just need to get this right. I just need to get Alek's memories back and that's all. I swear I'll stick with what I do best only."

"I drive," Hale snaps. "End of discussion."

I clench my jaw, "Fine. You drive."

"I'm coming," Rashid says from behind us. "I'll take care of the cams."

I turn to Avery who glares at me. "Avery I don't–"

"I don't care what you don't, Mae. I'm not coming and that's my decision. But I'm still going to help," she gets up from where she's sitting and stalks out of the room, slamming the door behind her. I think that's what Avery was arguing with Hale about...

I turn to Kai, " Don't even think about it. You are going to sit your ass in the training room and get ready for your fight tomorrow morning."

Kai raises his hands in mock surrender and mutters, bitch under his breath. I glare daggers at him.

Yan purses her lips, "Anything I can do?"

"Yeah," I pull out my phone. "Get Sam and Elenora filled in please. Tell them to meet us at the location."