Chapter 28: Mae Kazimi

Hale dies within a week.

"...what can we expect this week?"

"A slight breeze. No rain today, hopefully, but fall is here and it's getting quite chilly. Schools have opened and malls are slowly emptying, so grab what you can!"

"Tell us more about the weather."

"Last night's rainfall was brutal and caused many accidents. The highways are blocked and the streets of New York are busier than usual. I recommend taking a bike, New Yorkers."

"The floods are being taken care of as we speak. In Queens, the Rockaways and the South Brooklyn waterfront are two places to avoid during this time."

"Wearing a coat is recommended, and perhaps even a scarf–"

I turn it off.

I eye the black coat on my bed, straightening my hair, the tips brushing the skin on my shoulder. It's a simple black coat that matches my simple black turtleneck and pants. And it's ugly.

I turn back to the mirror, rubbing slightly at my brown skin. I've hidden my eyebags with concealer, and I've brushed my hair so there's not a single knot. I've softly tapped lipstick onto my lips so I do not look like a corpse.

I swallow.

There's a knock on my door, so soft that I hardly hear it. I don't reply because I find no need to. I already know who it is before they enter.

Avery is dressed in a long silk black dress, her hair tied in a bun on her head. She wears no jewellery nor does she wear any makeup. She looks alive without any of it somehow.

"Our ride is waiting for us downstairs," she says.

"Okay," I reply.

"Okay," she echoes.

We stare at each other for a moment longer before she turns around and marches out of my room, not bothering to shut the door. I stare at myself in the mirror for a heartbeat longer before slipping on my boots, grabbing my bag and walking out the door.

I do not take the coat.

__________________________

The ride there is short and I find no comfort in the coffee Rashid hands to every one of us. I sip it slowly in the car and every time it slides down my throat I fight the urge to hurl it all over my lap.

I somehow manage to make it to our destination and the first thing I do is throw out the coffee cup in my hands, half full as it is. Rashid notices like always, but remains silent.

I'm not surprised when we arrive at the grave sight that it's only us four standing around his casket. The funeral invitations were sent in masses, I made sure of it myself. But it's at death when one realises how much they were truly loved and by how many.

It doesn't take long for the funeral to finish. I notice my mother and father standing to the side with Khadir. I see Fayyaz, unhappy as he is, alongside his own parents. But they aren't here for Hale. They are here for me.

Finally, when I think it's almost over, I see others slowly trickling in and joining our small group. I recognize many of them. Many who were taught by Hale just like Kai. Many who were under his wing because they had nowhere else to go. There were some who versed against Hale's boys, paying their respects. They were huge, taking most of the space, sending acknowledging nods in Kai's direction.