Chapter 14: S̶t̶r̶a̶n̶g̶e̶r̶

The place Shadow texted me to meet her at is a large section between two buildings, too big to be an alleyway but too small to be a road. The building we're going to be breaking in today has many side doors, small staircases leading up to them. Surprisingly, the place has been kept clean, meaning people go around here often. Meaning, we're going to have to hurry the fuck up.

But Shadow is late.

I lean against the wall, arms crossed as I wait. I don't do well with patience. I don't know if she's doing this on purpose or something has come up. But either way, I slip out my phone my boss has provided me for work purposes and find her name on my list of contacts. It's not hard to find her name. It's at the very top, right below my boss. I mean, there's no one else I contact more than my boss which is honestly kind of...sad. Fine, it's sad. But it doesn't matter.

Work comes first.

Until the boss figures out what's wrong with me of course. And then I ditch and figure out what to do with my life once my memories are back. Perhaps there are people out there who know me. Or perhaps I have a family?

"Sorry I kept you waiting," says a familiar voice.

I look up, adjusting the mask on my face with my leather gloves, "You're late."

"Yes, thank you for noticing. But the guys are coming here for their routine checks and we can't be caught standing here like idiots."

I watch her make her way towards one of the doors down the side of the building. I follow her, shoving my phone back into my pocket. She's wearing her usual Shadow gear, the shadow like coat and polished boots. Her hair is in a sharp cut right above her shoulders and her mask is black, just like mine.

She slips out a key and pushes the door open with a grunt, "You have everything?" She looks down at me from atop the staircase. "Once we're in, there's no going back."

I shrug and she takes that as a yes. She pulls up her hood and I follow her inside of the building, closing the door gently behind us.

We are in a long and narrow carpeted hallway that seems to go on forever. I got the layout from my boss and know almost as much as Shadow does. However, she has a personal connection with Mae Kazimi so I allow her to lead us.

"There's a staircase right down there," I point to the first turn. "It will get us to the first elevator."

Shadow pushes me against the wall as she leans over to check whether the hallways are clear, "And you know this how exactly?"

"Take a wild guess," I snort, leaning against the wall.

Shadow looks me up and down, taking in my outfit probably because it's the first time I've worn it around her. She raises her eyebrows at my belt that shows the clear gun and weapons and I meet her with a look.

"Nice outfit," she grins before making her way towards the staircase, just like I'd said. "I'm loving it."

I'm not wearing my usual hood. Instead, I've kept my hair open, a black mask identical to Shadow's on my face. My black shirt is tucked safely into my pants, a belt secured with weapons for whenever I might need them. But I'm not stupid. I've got some nice surprises in my boots too.

"Shut up and keep moving," I tell her, a gun in my hands. I'm not taking any fucking chances today. "How's your shoulder?"

She shrugs, pushing the door open and begins climbing the stairs, "It's doing dandy. Now, floor four or five?"

"Three," I know she's playing with me because she purposely stops on the second floor. "For fucks sake, Shadow. Now's not the time."

Her body shakes with laughter and she begins climbing again. I notice how she is covered from head to toe, not an inch of her skin showing. Usually, her black shirt is riding up her stomach, showing skin. But today...today's a special occasion.