Chapter 2

A few years ago, when I was thirteen, I got into an argument with Cato my training partner. The headteacher brought us to the combat center and told us to fight it out. If he said to have a knife-throwing competition, I would've won. However, he didn't and instead took us over to the combat area. Even though I knew how to fight, I wasn't nearly as experienced with hand-to-hand combat as Cato was, so I knew I wasn't going to win and prepared for the worst. Almost the academy gathered around to watch and take notes on everything I did wrong. I clenched my fists together and looked up at him.

"Scared Clover?" He teased using the stupid nickname he came up with knowing it annoyed me, before pushing his blonde hair out of his eyes. I ignored the nickname, not breaking eye contact and lied.

"Nope." I was completely terrified.

"Maybe I'll go easy on you." I doubted that, but still, I had a tiny bit of hope that he was telling the truth.

"Don't even think about it," I said right after, he punched me near my jaw. I gasped and stumbled back, what a prick. I steadied myself and attempted to kick him in the side, however, he caught and twisted my leg, sending me crashing down onto the mat beneath me. I heard some of the people watching cheer happy for some entertainment.

"Come on Clove, you're not even trying." He laughed. I quickly stood up, my face burning with embarrassment, pain, and anger. He attempted another punch, luckily I moved out of the way just in time. I tried to punch him, but of course, he dodged it. I was frustrated, tired, and in pain I just wanted it to end.

"You know I didn't expect you to be-" I cut him off by tackling him and pinning him down onto the mat (TW slight not very graphic mentions of cutting someone with a knife). I knew I wasn't going to win this fight, so I decided to have some fun while I was in control. I reached into my boot and pulled out a small knife. A few people gasped, but no one stopped me. I needed to stall, catch my breath, and try to throw him off his rhythm. I took the knife and slid it from his right temple down to his cheek, causing a thin line of blood to follow wherever the blade went.

"Aren't you going to stop her? She's crazy?" He yelled trying to push me off. The teachers shrugged, but a few students looked a little unsure. I figured it was fine to continue, ignored his comment, and instead started to carve a small four leafed clover on his arm. I didn't even cut that deep, only enough that it would lightly scar, yet he screamed so loud you would've thought I was cutting his hand off. I quickly finished since I didn't want to continue hearing his loud yells (TW over). Eventually, Cato seemed to come back to his senses and started to push me off. Naturally, he succeeded in shoving me off of him, and onto the floor. My knife clattered down beside my leg. Blood ran down the side of his face and arm, he stood up, glaring at me. Oh, maybe there was some truth to his statement earlier. I started to sit up but before I could he kicked me in the side. Never mind, I guess we're still fighting. He pinned me to the floor again, his legs tight against my sides so I couldn't move. l tried to knee him in the crotch, but he punched me ridiculously hard, causing black spots to move across my vision. I moved my hands in an attempt to shield my face, but he bought them down to my stomach and punched me again, causing the world around me to go black.