Chapter 16

Glimmer comes back with the girl from four, chatting excitedly as she leads her to us. They arrive at our table in the corner and Glimmer decides to introduce us all.

"Just in case you forgot, I'm Glimmer, that's Marvel my partner, and Clove and her partner Cato." Glimmer says gesturing to each of us.

"I think you guys will like Marina!" Glimmer says enthusiastically making the girl smile.

"I'm assuming that's you?" Marvel asked getting a nod in response.

"Yep, I'm Marina. I would say it's nice to meet you, but under the circumstances it really isn't." She says with a slight laugh.

"They totally understand! How about you tell them some stuff you're good at?" Glimmer asks looking at Marina eagerly.

"Well, I'm good with swords, I'm decent with a bow, and my best weapon is an axe." She says glancing at each of us for approval.

"Good. If you'd like, we want you in our alliance. You don't have to accept, but this is an offer we don't give to most people. It would be foolish of you to pass up the opportunity." Cato says

"I'd really enjoy being part of your alliance. Marina replies.

"Great! Good luck with your interview, see you tomorrow." Glimmer says as Marina walks back to her partner. Glimmer and Marvel go back to their mentors to get the finishing touches on their outfits.

Eventually, everyone forms a line as Caesar Flickerman begins talking and welcoming people. He announces Glimmer and she struts out on the stage. The crowd is screaming, apparently they're fans of underage girls in sheer dresses. Glimmer obviously was going for flirty, and it definitely worked. She answered with hand movements, winks, and smiles. Marvel is announced, and I move up to watch the television playing the interview. He talked about why he was passionate about the games instead of why he could win it. Though, by the end he seemed to have won the crowd over. Caesar ends the interview and quiets the audience down.

"From district two we have another volunteer, please welcome Clove!" He announces and I smooth my dress and walk out onto the stage. The lights blind my eyes, and I'm engulfed in the sounds of claps and cheers. Okay, sweet but deadly I can do this. He guides me over to a set of chairs and we sit down.

"Now in case a few people haven't been caught up, Clove got into a bit of a fight at the reaping. Would you like to explain to the audience why?"
I'm guessing they don't want the reason of I'm supposed to, it's what I was taught since I was little, and it's the only way I can prove to my parents I'm worth something.

"Well, I'm more than ready for this. I'm not going to let some underprepared girl take this away from me." I say looking out to the crowd.

"Well, we're glad to have you here." He says and I give him a smile in return.

"Now, I have heard that you're quite facile a knife." He states.

"I'm the best" I reply with a nod.

"Really?" He questions. I suppose he's probably heard that a lot.

"I could kill you from clear across this stage." I respond confidently glancing momentarily over the length of the stage. The crowd cheers and Caesar looks out to them putting on an obviously fake and very over exaggerated nervous face.

"Well, I assume you expect to win." He says looking at me obviously expecting some type of snarky remark.

"Yes. Only a little under half of the people here expect to win. Obviously only one will. I will be that person." I reply.

"Confident, I like it! Don't you ladies and gentlemen?" He asks turning to the crowd as they cheer.

"Is there any special person back home you're really determined to win this for and get back to?" Caesar questions. Even if there was, I would never tell you.

"No. I'm focused on more important things such as training." Hopefully that gets us away from that stupid topic. He nods before continuing.

"Every year, we see different types of relationships within the tributes. How would you describe your relationship with your district partner? Were you two close before the reaping?" Caesar inquires.

"Cato and I trained together for a few years back home, so I'd say we're close." I reply.

"Should people be concerned about any negative impacts years of training together might have on how you display yourself in the arena?" He asks

"No. If anything, I say it impacts me positively. Though Cato and I know each other's weaknesses, I also know I have certain advantages he doesn't have. I won't list them since it would take too long." I say forcing a laugh that hopefully came off as real. I suppose it did, since the audience lets out a few laughs.

"This is my last question for you before you leave us. "What do you want to say to your family? Remember this is live so they can hear us right now." He says gesturing to the camera in the middle of the stage. I want to say nothing, I just want them to feel guilty and tell them it's their fault if they see either their daughter get murdered by a stranger or her best friend, or if they see their daughter murder her only friend. I settle for

"See you soon."

"Thank you for joining me tonight. Everyone give it up for district two's Clove!" I smile and wave at the crowd as I walk off the stage. The cheers muffling Caesar who was trying to introduce Cato.

Enobaria, Brutus, Glimmer, and Marvel greet me off stage. I finally allow myself to relax and breathe normally.

"You did great, I think you really secured some sponsors." Enobaria says giving me an awkward pat on the shoulder.

"Your questions were so much better than mine! I think together we'll have loads of sponsees!" Glimmer exclaims and I give her a small smile. We quiet down as Caesar starts to interview Cato. The questions started the same as all of ours, why he volunteered, and what he likes about the games. I think he did a good job creating sponsor worthy answers. Though the hunger games yell he did was a little excessive, whatever gets the crowd to like him. Caesar started to ask Cato about his relationship with me, which I personally think is unnecessary since he already asked me, and he didn't ask Glimmer and Marvel. Maybe he figured he'd ask since district two tributes train before volunteering. I focus my attention back on the interview as Cato starts to answer.

"Clove is definitely talented. All the years we've been partners allowed for a special bond to form. I've enjoyed training with her, it's certainly never dull." He replies causing Caesar to smile.

"Lovely, I'm sure everyone is dying to know how you got your ten the other day, could you share a little of what you did?" Caesar questions.

"I can't share everything, all of you will just have to wait and find out. Though I can share that I am very skilled with swords." Cato responded adding a little smirk.

"You're correct! We'll just have to be patient. It's be revealed soon." Caesar said. They ended the interview and Cato joined our group watching.

"I thought you did nicely, but hopefully your sappy little moment didn't cost me too many sponsors." I said adding a slight smile hoping he'd get that I was joking. Well mostly joking, it really would be a shame.

"It's not like you didn't have any particularly heartfelt moments with your 'I'd say we're close' mine wasn't any different." He replies.

"It was a little different. You did say you had a special bond and there was never a dull moment." Brutus interrupts before getting shushed by Enobaria so she could hear the girl from 3.