Chapter 7

I wake up to someone knocking at the bedroom door. I look over at the clock next to the bed, 5:30 a.m.
"What?" I call out,

"We're an hour away from the Capitol so get ready and come eat something." I hear Silvia say, I slowly get out of bed, and grab a green shirt, black pants, and my boots and head into the bathroom. I brush my teeth, shower, and put my hair up. It's 6:00 now and I head into the dining room for breakfast.

"Glad you finally joined us. Want some toast?" Brutus asks

"Yeah, thanks" I say taking a piece and reaching for the butter. I move to grab the knife but Brutus takes it.

"What was that for?" I ask it isn't like I was going to stab him with the butter knife. I just wanted my toast to be buttered, maybe that was too much to ask for.

"I don't trust you with these yet, give me it and I'll butter it. On the second day at the Capitol, if you don't throw a knife at anyone, I'll give you your knife privileges back. " He says smiling holding out his hand for my plate.

"It's just a butter knife, I intend to use it as such. It wouldn't do much good anywhere else maybe the mouth, but it would need a serrated edge, not smooth like this. " I say while reluctantly handing him my plate.

"The fact you know that gives me all the information I need. I'm not an idiot you know, I know any type of knife in your hands can somehow be thrown or used to hurt someone." Brutus says before handing me back my plate. I finish eating and Silvia who is now dressed in all blue except for her black hair takes me over to the window and yells for Cato to join us.

"Look at all the people waiting to see you two!" She exclaims, I don't understand how someone can have this much energy this early in the morning.

"Come on you two, wave!" She adds an overdramatic wave to the crowd to convey her point. I really don't feel like waving to these people but Cato and I give a few waves in order to satisfy Silvia. It's 6:30 now and we arrive at the Remake Center the name wasn't very comforting, then again the whole point of this is to be a punishment.

"Let them do whatever is necessary, don't try to fight them they're just trying to help you." Silvia says as the train doors open and Cato and I are escorted into the building. I am taken to a room and told to put on a robe. I do so and hear footsteps and whispering.

"Oh good, you actually listened!" A man with bright pink hair says happily and two women one in all black and the other in any color imaginable nod their heads.

"I'm Meta and these are Rena and Dina." He states, why do all these Capitol people have such odd names?

"Which is which?" I ask 

"I'm Rena" the colorfully dressed woman states.

"And I'm Dina" the woman in all black says. I'm probably not going to remember that, but I nod anyway.

"We are your prep team, we make you beautiful, and make sure you're ready for Azal to see you." Meta tells me, I think I should be offended. Honestly, I don't mind not being beautiful to someone that thinks having pink skin is cool. I hope they don't dye me any shade and they just make sure my hair is washed and untangled or whatever. A few hours later, I'm still on the cold table, just with less hair and dignity. When they first brought over a jar and a stick I was convinced they were going to dye me blue or someone. I was very wrong, they spread the weird hot mixture and waited. I thought they left it on, and I kind of wish they did. They pulled the dry stuff and I felt them rip the hear out. I tried to kick them so they would stop, I know Silvia said to let them do whatever, but I didn't expect them to rip every hair off of my body. I yelled at them to stop, but they ignored me. They held my legs down but I still tried to get out of their grasp. I was held down while they finished that, which I later was told is waxing. I hate waxing. I hate all of this, they rubbed weird lotions, scrubbed me, injected me with multiple strange liquids, and now they are polishing my nails. Is just skipping all of this and heading straight to the arena really too much to ask? I don't understand why they felt it was necessary to do this. The only people getting a close up of my hands will be the people in the arena. No one is even going to see whatever was done to my legs. Personally I feel if I'm close enough to a tribute, that they see whatever is painted on my nails, they'll probably be dead or close to it. I highly doubt they will stop mid fight, to quickly say 'hey love your nails' before we attempt to kill each other. The three of them stop running around and stand in front of the table.

"Thank you for not struggling too much. You're quite pretty when an effort is made." Rena says, am I supposed to thank her?

"We did a wonderful job don't you think? And don't worry we left your bracelet alone." They help me off the table and walk me over to a mirror. I don't see that big of a difference besides my hair being a tad shorter and my eyebrows are thinner. I have a feeling they would continue on until I said yes, and I really didn't want that to happen. Therefore, I attempt an enthusiastic

"Yes, I see a big difference" and hope I was convincing enough. I guess I was because they clap their hands, give me a robe, and walk out the door. I don't know how long ago they left, I hear the door open and I turn around and see a woman with blonde hair carrying a gold outfit enter.

"Hello Clove, I'm Azal. I'm your stylist, I think you will like the costume I made. Now, please remove your robe so I can see what they did." I nod my head and remove the robe, putting it on the table. She walks around me before handing the robe back. I put it on, and she starts explaining the chariot costume. It's supposedly inspired by Roman fighters and she purposely made the helmet out of the material used for the Victor's crown. She pulls my hair back into a ponytail and hands me a tray with some food.

"It's 1:00, we have time to eat and then get you dressed." I reach for the food, and cutlery, but she too stops me from taking the knife.

"We were told not to let you touch the knives." She laughs

"Did Brutus tell you that?" I ask her curious to know if and why he did.

"Yes, he told me about the table incident." Great, now I'm also known as a table murderer too. We finish lunch and Azal helps me with the costume. Personally I think I look a little stupid with the helmet, but she says the Capitol will love it. It's about 2:30 now and the parade starts at 4:00. Azal takes me out to wait for Cato to finish getting ready. At 3:00 he finally walks out wearing almost the same thing. The stylists tell us to wait as they get Enobaria, Brutus, and Silvia.

"Nice skirt" I comment trying to ease the tension. He rolls his eyes,

"Nice helmet, maybe it'll make you seem taller." He retorts flicking one of the wings.

"If Brutus hadn't taken away my knives, I would stab you in your sleep." I say joking

"I think I'm safe for now so I'm not too concerned." He replies smiling, we hear everyone start to make their way to where we were seated. The stylists take our helmets and usher is into an elevator and down to to level with all the chariots. We make our way to our chariot, and I see the girl from district 1 nudge her partner and they start to walk over.