17 | 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝙲𝚒𝚗𝚍𝚛𝚎𝚕𝚕𝚊 𝚊 𝚙𝚛𝚒𝚗𝚌𝚎 𝚗𝚎𝚎𝚍𝚜

☘︎ Lʏᴋᴀs Vɪᴛᴀʟʟɪs ☘︎

"I feel like I've seen her before." Ethan Langford muses, his amber eyes flickering to me from the driver's seat, "But it doesn't make sense."

Rolling my eyes, I focus on the heavy traffic clearing for the limited edition Rolls-Royce car used as a police car to venture it's way through, the elite team's limousine following shortly behind.

"Jennifer is famous. You probably saw her somewhere in tabloids." I assert stoically.

"I suppose." Ethan frowns, deep in thought before he grins a cunning smile, "So you didn't kill a certain housekeeper, did you?"

"Is that why you're tailing me and Mia home and sent one of your cronies to accompany Jennifer to her house? To keep an eye on us?" My tone is as bland as it could get. I know very well Jennifer, Mia and me are still a major part of Ethan's suspect list, no matter how chill he acts about it.

Jennifer had left a few minutes before us, after her Human Resource/Public Relations manager, Siya, told her to go to Jennifer's own house in NY instead of returning to Davidson Villa where my father awaits. Something about it causing a bigger scandal for Siya to clear before she could land on New York if Jennifer went tooth and nail with David Vitallis. It made sense and while a morose part of me is relieved she doesn't have to witness my father chastise me, a larger part is dejected that her ice cold presence wouldn't be lingering in the Davidson Villa anymore.

"Maybe it's just a form of protection? I'll leave you at the gates of Davidson Villa and be gone. Someone seems quite pissed by you lot. And we also don't know whether the killer really wanted to kill the housekeeper or she got tangled in a death sentence meant for one of you present at the villa that day. I still have to officially question all of you with prior notice as well." Ethan shrugs dismissingly, then peeks a glance behind, "You think that one didn't kill the housekeeper either?"

"IamrighthereIcanhearyou." Mia mumbles incoherently in her sleep from the backseat and the Francis guy, equally drowsy and drunk, lets her rest her head on his lap and slumber off on him. Definitely likes her.

"Speak English." Ethan states to Mia then turns to me another time when the car halts on a traffic signal, "Are you sure the Miss Jennifer hasn't been to jail before?"

"Just shut up, Langford." I sigh, running a hand through my hair and resting my head back on the leather seat.

Ethan simply whistles a tune in return, but thankfully stops his interrogation.

***

There was always more than enough reasons for David Vitallis to claim how much of a dissapointment I am to him. It was just my luck the moment father landed on New York, the first news he had to hear was of his only 'reckless son' being arrested. Fantastic.

I wish I was as drunk as Mia and Francis, so I could have an excuse to ditch this and go slumber off like the dead in my room. No such luck.

Taking a deep breath and fixing the top buttons of my white shirt, I pull back my shoulder in a semblace of fake nonchalance and push open the door leading to the drawing room of Davidson Villa.

My father's eyes, so similar to my own, a champagne shade like the lightest brown of burnt gold, seek mine immediately from where he's seated at the couch. He wears a black suit, dark grey tie in place and a glass of wine in his hand. Hair perfectly gelled and combed back from his head accentuating the sharp, lethal features of his face.

Mother sits beside him, pretty as ever. Dressed in a lilac dress, Heather Vitallis' hair is pinned back with studded clips, elegant as the diamond choker on her neck. She doesn't glance at me and keeps staring down at her tightly clasped hands on her lap.