22 | 𝙿𝚕𝚊𝚢𝚎𝚛𝚜 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚙𝚒𝚍𝚎𝚛 𝚠𝚎𝚋

☘︎ Lʏᴋᴀs Vɪᴛᴀʟʟɪs ☘︎

Jennifer's staring down at the diamond on her ring finger, glinting under the night sky like a little star shining on her hand.

With the roof of the Bugatti Veyron open while I drive through the nearly isolated road, the wind tousles her hair in a messy way one would never find Jennifer Ryson in. Her head is tilted to the side, her eyes observing the diamond ring with a comical suspicion even though there's a slight twitching of her lips, the makings of a frown or a smile I couldn't tell.

I hang onto that slight movement of her mouth. Trying to ignore the way it suddenly takes me back to the flashbacks of when we kissed and heats the blood pumping through my veins, I jump into taking the opportunity of striking a conversation after nearly half an hour of her dreadful silence.

"With the way you're staring at the ring, Ryson, careful or I might think you actually want to marry me." I drawl in a teasing manner.

Jennifer blinks repeatedly as though suddenly snapping out of a trance. Her eyes are like pools of green glacier as they glance my way, "Do not delude yourself."

She then proceeds to ignore me the same way she'd done the whole ride, gazing out at the road leading to Brooklyn. I took a long route many didn't know about to avoid the paparazzi we'd managed to dodge outside Davidson Villa.

Something is off with Jennifer.

Given the fact that the whole charade of us getting engaged worked splendidly well, making people doubt the authenticity of the article tremendously, I'd thought she'd be a bit settled. And she had seemed fine, pleased even.

But when we were leaving the ballroom to avoid people's oncoming inquisitive glances and questioning, my father had blocked our way on the doorstep. He hadn't swinged at me with harsh accusations as I'd expected him to. Instead, he'd outright pretended like I didn't exist and whispered something into Jennifer's ear before walking away.

She'd been awfully quiet since then, seeming to be in her own world like a silently fuming dragon contemplating her next move. I want to ask what my father told her, want to know what is bothering her. But every time I try to initiate a conversion, she ends up ignoring me.

It feels like all the little progress I'd made with her the past month has all gone down the drain. She's back to being closed off, her walls higher than before. I don't like it. Now that I've seen her smile, it feels like a desert without sand when she's not smiling. I want her to smile that pretty smile again.

My brain switches gears as I think of something and press on the accelerator. The moment I take the road opposite to the one leading to the suburban area where Jennifer's mansion is at, she turns to me with a narrowed gaze.

"You're heading on the wrong path." Jennifer states, her eyes staying on me instead of observing which route we are going. I take it as a sign that she somewhat trusts me not to take her somewhere to murder her or something.

"I know, Ryson." A slow, mysterious smile forms on my lips as I stare straight ahead, "Just wait and see."

.
.

☘︎ Jᴇɴɴɪғᴇʀ Rʏsᴏɴ ☘︎

After a dragged fifteen minutes, Lykas parks his Bugatti in front of our destination while I take in one of New York's famous tourist attractions.

"The Brooklyn Bridge?" I can't hold in the blandness of my tone, "You do realize I'm still a hot topic of a crime scandal and this is one of the most crowded place in New York?"