23 | 𝚃𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐𝚜 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚜𝚑𝚊𝚕𝚕 𝚗𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛 𝚔𝚗𝚘𝚠

------- A - W E E K - L A T E R -----

☘︎ Jᴇɴɴɪғᴇʀ Rʏsᴏɴ ☘︎

My nails tap against the shiny marble table's counter top as I wait for my guest to arrive.

The towering walls of the pristine chinese luxury restaurant eminate a golden-ish glow from its many lights. Silver chandeliers shaped after the chinese flower drop beautifully from the ceiling creating an illusion-worthy image. Perks of pre-booking the entire restaurant last minute with double the amount atleast granted me with no human in sight who would eavesdrop on our conversation.

My frustration on the tardiness lowers immediately as I finally hear the click-clack of her channel heels against the white tiles.

A minute later, smelling of limited edition perfume and adorned in top-notch designer silk off-white dress and exquisite pearl jewelry, Moon gracefully takes her seat opposite me.

As usually, her beautiful vietnamese features make her look like a porcelain doll even at double my age as she raises those brown eyes to mine, "What is it that you want, Jennifer?" She asks, setting her Christian Dior bag on the table.

I lean back in my chair with a mocking smile which doesn't reach my eye, "What makes you think I'm not here for a normal chat to bond with my step-mother?"

Moon stares at the lunch set before her, picks up two chopsticks and starts elegantly poking her food around, "You've never been interested before."

"Or maybe you weren't interested because you don't like me." I chide, my voice remaining at matter-of-fact tone.

Moon continues separating each dish and arranging them on her plate neatly, "I do not have anything against you."

"And that's why you published the article about me, is it?" I bait her, expecting a possible change in her expression.

Except there isn't any.

If anything, Moon looks up from her food in exasperated surprise. "Why would you even think I did that?" She sets down the chopsticks with a slightly nervous gesture, "Contrary to what you believe, I do not have any ill intentions towards you, Jennifer."

I hang to that single nervous gesture even though a part of me has gotten the answer, "You feel threatened by my presence, you've always been jittery when I'm around in the house, you're always on edge when I'm with Mia as if you think I'm going to hurt her. Don't think I haven't noticed any of it."

"You have it all wrong." Moon exhales a heavy breath, glances away from my gaze, "I do feel threatened by you but not because I think you're going to hurt Mia or because I want you out of the house. It's just that I worry about the things I will loose if Samuel throws Mia and me out of the house because you might not like us."

That sounds ridiculous and an awful lot like a motive.

I almost scoff at her reasoning though, "Why would Dad ever kick you out because I don't like anyone? You worry that you'll loose the luxury?"

"Your father cares about you more than you think." Moon flattens her palm against the marble table, showing the barest hint of anger in her expression, "And you don't know how my life was like before I had to marry your father because of the scandal. It's not the luxury I covet, it's the protection and safety. Samuel might never love me like he did your mother but he'll always respect me, always treat Mia as his own. That's all I've ever wanted for Mia and I."

I try to retort, but it's like a dam breaks through Moon's usually composed mask, "You don't understand. I've done everything to keep my daughter happy and protected. My former husband had been abusive, he'd beat me sometimes to unconsciousness and I'd still stay with him for the sake of Mia. Because I knew he'd never hurt her. Until. . . I couldn't anymore. Irene, your mother, she was my friend long before you and Mia met. We kept it a secret since Paul didn't like me having friends. Irene told me I should divorce Paul, that I deserve better. I realized as well I had to do it for Mia. She didn't deserve to grow in that environment either."