Chapter 100: Aftermath (Part 5)

The old Duke had neither wife nor children throughout his long life as a practitioner, and he secretly craved for a son.

With his wealth and prestige, there were several women that tried getting close to him in the past.

However, Lord Yue soon come to realise, to his dismay, that with his looks those women were actually frightened to death. There were those who wanted to be with him that secretly coveted his possessions and the duke who saw through their little ploys, actually did not mind. In his heart, those girls were his last hope. One can imagine his feelings when the greediest of those ladies dropped his Searing Sun engagement ring when he proposed, turned around and fled.

Years later, now that he has plenty of age under his belt and mostly given up on finding a spouse, his love for children and having a successor did not cease.

In fact, every time he read Kairos' reports, he could see the shadows of himself. The first time they met, he was secretly impressed by how composed Kairos was when facing him. Even adults tremble in his presence, but this boy could talk to him normally plus keep his quick-wits about.

When he saw how friendly the boy was with Relestia, he was rather happy, since, he would like to secretly think of the little princess as half his daughter. Of course, he wouldn't dare breathe a word about it.

When the pair of children went into his town to play and buying different things using his name, he actually smiled.

Granted, when he saw the bills he blanched, but he would spend ten times more to make the little princess smile. When he looked through the list of things purchased, he found that Kairos had spent really little, and only on things like food and lodging. Items that allowed a Duke to show generosity but without taking any advantage.

"Aiigoo... little Kai is so sensible! What a good boy... If only I had a son like that, then when I'm old and weak, I will still have someone accompanying me."

Unfortunately, those were thoughts that he only dared to bury deep in his mind. They had not interacted enough to reach this point in a relationship. If he suddenly brought it up, it will freak out the other person. The simple relationship intricacies that even little children understand made this powerful man uncertain.

But the indecision changed today, after going through this meeting and seeing how Kairos sift out a traitor from their midst, he couldn't help but be immensely proud. Seeing reports after reports of Kairos, having meticulous details of how the boy spent his day, he had treated the child as his own before he even realised.

And, without knowing, he blurted out those words: 'Why not... become my God Son?'

It was a terrible, nerve-wracking thing to say. His mind reeled as he chided himself, "Fool! I must be thinking of having children till I've gone mad! What should I do...? Oh no, I've already blurted it out... now what? Should I apologise? Yes, maybe I should... wait, kids wouldn't understand the feelings of an old man, right? Perhaps I should just push forward the matter, that'd be better! Since I've already gone too far, it's not like it could get any worse.

ORAAAA!!! I'll go all out!! At most I'll throw my old face away today, my reputation is already at the bottom in the empire's popularity chart, what more should I fear?"

"I... I just want a smart child like you to... to ... ta..tak... take care of me when I'm old... You don't have to worry. You'll be rewarded for all these! Once you are my godson, all my things are yours! How about I write your name into my will? I... you... Ah..."

The air chilled as he spoke. As a high-ranking practitioner, if he was just a little careless to lose the balance of his Ki, even the surrounding will change drastically according to his mood. As he blundered awkwardly, it turned colder than winter in a few seconds; just like how the old Duke is now feeling in his heart.