44: An unexpected visit

Jaemin

The excitement, the happiness, the fear, the hope; this whirlwind of emotions doesn't let me sleep. For the past three hours, it's been tossing and turning, tossing and turning. Jaehyun-Hyung even came in an hour ago asking what was wrong but I was quick to convince him to go back to sleep since he really needed it. There were bags beneath his eyes which were extremely droopy, begging to be closed so as soon as I got him to his bed, he was so deep in sleep I could have mistaken him as dead. 

There were just many things on my mind. 

I stare at the white ceiling, wide-eyed, and it seems like a blank canvas, ready to get my thoughts all drawn and painted on it. From the beginning of the day till now, it kept replaying in the white, clear space. Actually, the memories went as far back as the first time I saw each of them.

Mark-Hyung in the school library, tutoring some kid a year ago.

Jeno in the hallways, freshmen year, looking as stoic as ever.

And then Donghyuck who started to work at the cafe during the middle of sophomore year and quickly took my breath as soon as I laid eyes on him.

I turn my head with closed eyes towards my window, my hands on top of my stomach. I hoped that this position will finally allow my drowsiness to take over but I soon lose all hope as I open my eyes and stare at the starry night. 

I sigh in frustration, sitting up on my bed, bringing my legs to my chest and hugging them, and looking around the room. 

However, I gasp and flinch at the sound of the doorbell going off. Internally, I beg that Jaehyun-Hyung hasn't woken up as I take quiet steps off my bed and to the front door. 

A part of me thought or rather wished that it would be mom, whispering sorry's because she had forgotten her keys but another part of me knew that it was impossible. It wouldn't be like her to forget something as basic as house keys. 

I peek into my brother's room as I pass by. I let out a sigh of relief at the sight of his peacefully sleeping figure before continuing to walk carefully to my destination. I was a little scared, not gonna lie, with the house completely dark, the only source of light is the moon, and the lack of bodies at home, it scared me a little so I take my time to twist the doorknob, opening it just enough for me to see who was behind the other side. 

I frown in confusion and my heart speeds up at the sight. "Jeno?"

Jeno

I sigh, looking away from him.

To be entirely honest, I'm not sure why I'm here. Something in my head just kept on screaming for me to come to see him but now that I was here and his confused yet worried face was right in front of me, I wasn't sure what to do or what to say or what to anything. 

"W- what are you doing here?" He questions.

I glance down for a split second to see the way he wouldn't let go of his grip around the doorknob, he simply grabbed onto it tighter. Is it fear or nervousness? It hurts a little to think that he could be scared of me but it was possible. When you hear the name Lee Jeno, the first thing bound to come to your mind is my violent actions. Beating people up here and there, rude words said to teachers and peers, etc.

"Ho- how are you here?" His eyebrows go down lower. He must've only now realized that I shouldn't know his address.

I simply shrug. I wasn't about to tell him that I had my parent's personal investigator find me his address.

"I just... had to talk to you, I guess."

We stay quiet. We just... looked at each other. Scanned one another. 

He was wearing red and black checkered pajama pants, an oversized black t-shirt that showed off his collar bone, his pink hair was messy but in a perfect way. In a way that made him look handsomely beautiful. He wasn't wearing shoes, I then notice. 

"You should put on some shoes," I command without any thinking. 

He looks down at his feet, wincing a little at the realization before turning to the cabinet beside the front door and taking out a pair of bunny slippers. I smile slightly at them. They made him seem so innocent and vulnerable and for once, I knew what that warm feeling in my chest was and I felt this strong need to protect someone. Na Jaemin.

Jaemin

He looked so unsure of himself, so uncertain about everything, actually. I had never seen him like this. To be fair, I've ever only seen him be stoic and uncaring about everything. In his outside demeanor, of course, I'm sure that inside he sometimes feels a roller coaster of emotions just like everyone else does. I'm sure that he has been happy, sad, happy, excited, even. He's just good at hiding it. Is that what's going on? A roller coaster of emotions?

"You can talk to me," I tell him reassuringly with a smile, loosening my grip and stepping outside, closing the door behind me in the process. 

Unconsciously, I reach my hand out to put it on his but once I realize it, I retract it to my side and nod to the porch bench. 

I sit on the right side and he takes a seat beside me. I hug my legs to my chest, letting myself feel cushioned. His presence added to the feeling, his warmth just made me feel a million times warmer and more comfortable. I glance at him only to realize he was already looking at me.

It's silent. The silence is so loud but not really in a bad way. Unlike expected, the atmosphere was comfortable. 

I scan the area to see that all the houses had their lights on but there was no action, no presence in view. The only sound was crickets and paired with the moonlight, everything seemed perfect.

"Jaemin, I," he broke the silence.