48: Him, him, him, him

Third POV

After a few seconds of inevitable relief upon the exit of the older man, the atmosphere in the house was tense, everyone had something to say yet not one of them had the courage to open their mouth and start the conversation. The four, individually, had thought of what they wanted to say. However, now being together in a room, they were finding it extremely hard. Jeno was scared of saying the wrong thing, Donghyuck was curious about what everyone had to say, Mark was ready to listen and give his input, and Jaemin was simply nervous. Scared, even.

Mark was glancing at everyone, Jeno looked blankly at the black TV screen, Donghyuck had his cheeks inflated, looking around everywhere, and Jaemin was looking down at his lap.

But. As mentioned before, they were just hoping for someone else to take the initiative and speak. Just one word would be enough and things would go down from there.

Who will be the brave one?

Jeno turned out to be the one. 

"I have to say something before we start a conversation about other topics," he clears his throat and everyone snaps their head to look at him, gratefulness and curiosity in their eyes. "I have to say sorry to you first," he says, looking Mark in the eyes. Mark doesn't look away, simply nods as a signal for the male to continue. "I'm... sorry about that time. I was fifteen and stupid and I know that isn't exactly an excuse but I have to tell you, that I have really regretted that day since it happened."

Naturally, Donghyuck and Jaemin were curious as to what they were talking about, glancing at the two boys back and forth. 

"I only beat up those who deserve it. You didn't." There was a quiet gasp from either uninvolved boy but the other two didn't pay attention, they focused on the matter in their hands, keeping eye contact. "I thought you did when it happened but you didn't. Your brother was an asshole and I wanted to get back at him for what he did through you, I should've realized that it was stupid. He was the one that looked for the fight by putting those drugs in my backpack, not you." There was an unknown sincerity in every word that Jeno spoke. One that hadn't ever been seen. It made Mark's eyes soften up.

"I get how you felt, Jeno. You were framed and you almost took the blame for it and it was my step-brother's fault. Frankly, I hate him too," he laughs. "He has done so much that he should regret but." He shrugs and sighs, leaving details out for now. "I'm glad you said sorry and that you're regretful," he smiles warmly, reaching for his forearm where a scar from the fight remains. "I forgive you. I wish you could've done this sooner."

There seemed to be a gleam in Mark's eyes asking if he could hug him but Jeno's didn't seem to get it. Jeno simply smiled and that was it.

Mark took a sigh and explained everything to them. "When Jeno was a freshman, I was a sophomore, and my brother was a senior at our school." He pauses for a second before taking in a breath and continuing, "He's not... a good person. He was jealous of a boy three years younger than him just because of the attention he received so he planted drugs on him and gave the teachers a tip. He was found out and suspended before he could graduate and had three-month probation for getting ahold of drugs." He contemplates for a little before continuing. "I haven't seen him in a while since my parents thought he was a bad influence on me. Honestly, I don't really know where he is now," he smiles at them, a hint of sadness in it. "Jeno came onto me one time because of what happened and I was pretty... hurt. That's why I tell everyone that I hate him." He turns to the said boy. "For what it's worth, I never actually hated you, I was just upset that I had to carry the responsibility of the actions of someone that I didn't exactly consider my family." 

When he finishes, everyone holds in their breaths(metaphorically), thoughts running across their minds. Jeno was nervous. He had never felt that way but this made him so stupidly nervous that he cursed himself in his mind. 

"Are you sure you're okay now, Mark-Hyung?" Jaemin asks, understanding why he wouldn't. Jeno apologized and that takes a lot of guts so he decided that as long as something similar never happens again, then it could be buried in the past. Donghyuck agreed. 

"I am." He smiles assuringly. "Jeno genuinely apologized and it's been years. To the grave it goes," he says, laughing at the last part and the others joining in. 

Silence once again overtakes them before Donghyuck breaks it. "Sooo," he drags out, chuckling awkwardly ad rubbing the back of his neck. "I think there are other things to be... discussed?"

Everyone glances at each other. The difference now was that they all had slight smiles on their face as if they already knew what was bound to happen. And, they were happy about it. Overjoyed, actually. They were all ready for this, the four of them, and they knew what they wanted now. 

"Are you guys sure you want to try this?" Jaemin questions, taking lead on what everyone was thinking. "It'll be difficult. We'll have differences and society will have its negative prejudice," he states seriously, looking down at his lap, nervous. 

"But we can get through it together," Donghyuck intervenes, giving him a reassuring grin, and taking his hand in his. "We'll learn all the ropes in a relationship like this, we'll learn to love each other, and we'll be there for each other until something inevitably separates that. If." The last part was said quietly and quite sullenly but it didn't stop the conversation from keep going.

"I promise to express myself more," Jeno said.

"And I promise to equally like you all and always be objective. To always hear you and try to stay away from misunderstandings," was Mark's promise. 

"I promise to share my problems and concerns and to support you guys. Equally." He gives Jaemin's hands a squeeze upon finishing his promise. 

"And I promise to always get through the intricacy of our problems. I hate to say it out loud but I'll cry more than not but I'll always, always like you guys the same. 

This relationship will be complicated, but I'm ready to give it my all."

Everyone agreed. 

Mark gave everyone a kiss on the cheek, hesitating a bit with Jeno who only nodded at him. Donghyuck did the same with more pressure and drama. Jeno was the one to take an extra step and gave each of them a chaste kiss on the lips, shocking everyone. Lastly, Jaemin made them all stand up and brought them all into a hug, closing his eyes in delight. 

Right then and there, it felt... like... their hearts connected. It was a feeling better than he could have ever imagined and he just knew that all the intricacy of these last few months was worth it. All those tears and feelings were worth it.

And if that's what it meant to be with them, then he was ready for everything that would inevitably come to them.

He was ready for the intricacy of the relationship.

A/N: Okay guys, you probably weren't expecting this buttt... this is the last chapter! I just decided this but there will only be an epilogue to finish off this story. 

However.

As I mentioned before, I was thinking of the possibility of a sequel and it will happen. It will probably be out in a week or two (I will announce it here when the first chapter is out). But yeah, guys. I cannot say how thankful I am for every single read in this story, all the comments, votes, and support. I will miss 'Intricate Relations' but looking forward to the advancement this relationship will have. 

I hope you enjoyed it! Love you all!