08. Home

- Chiara Romero - 

- Chiara Romero - 

I awoke, the bright sunshine blinding me through the open blinds. I looked to either side of me, noticing that both of my brothers had vanished, just like I knew they would.

I pushed the heavy duvet off my body, swinging my legs to the side. The bed was really high up for me, as I only stood at around 3'6. I was small for my age, and I knew it. I was surprised that my brothers hadn't said anything yet.

I checked the bedside table that was closest to me, realizing the time. It was 11:25am in the day. Why hadn't anyone woken me up? I should have been at school. I felt bad, like was overstaying at someone's house. It didn't quiet feel like my home, my bedroom yet.

I jumped down, landing on the ground with a bit of thud, then crept to the door. I clasped the doorknob in my hand, pulling down and opening the door. I could feel the heating, feeling grateful for it in the cold, winter weather.

I looked either way of the hallway, hearing some vague snoring, but nothing else. I presumed that my brothers would have been awake and either gone to school or work. I decided not to bother the person that was still sleeping and walked towards the stairs.

I could hear slight chatter, the familiar voices reaching my ears. I picked up my pace, but slowed down as I reached the stairs, clasping my hand onto the rail, so I wouldn't fall or get pushed like last time.

Once I had made it to the bottom of the stairs, I rushed to where I could hear all the commotion. Entering the kitchen, the waft of pancakes being cooked made my nose twitch in anticipation. My mouth watered at the thought of pancakes. Such a weird combination of a cake being cooked in a pan. It confused me.

No one had noticed me standing in the doorway, so I decided to surprise my favorite person, Enzo. I saw him standing with his back towards me as he was engaged in a conversation with Leo. Sandro was cooking on the other side of the bench, while Angelo and Gio were talking to one another. There was no sight of Luca or Rocco, whom I presumed was still sleeping or was out somewhere.

Leo saw me walking towards Enzo but didn't say anything. I launched myself at Enzo's leg, wrapping my arms and legs around his long leg. I was like a Koala. "What are you doing, munchkin?" Enzo questioned, laughing lightly.

"Holding on?" I questioned, my voice coming out quiet and timid. Before I knew it, someone took me from Enzo's legs and lifted me up. They sat my on their hip, but I was ridged the entire time until I saw that it was just Giovanni.

"Good morning, gorgeous girl" Gio then started to sway his hips around the room, like he was dancing with me. I just giggled, the smile never once fading from my face. "Such a cutie" he stopped when he noticed that my cheeks were turning a bright red. He pinched my cheek with his fingers, then handed me to someone else that I wasn't expecting.

I wasn't expecting to be handed to a sleepy Rocco who had just walked into the room. I wasn't sure whether to cuddle into him like I had when Enzo had held me. I was so unsure.