18. Unhappy and Cranky

- Chiara Romero -

- Chiara Romero -

Waking up, I was not in a good mood. We were still in the car, and I was not happy about any of it. I didn't want to be a brat, like Eleanor and Mark had always said I was, but I felt like I was acting different. It wasn't like I wasn't giving them what they wanted, it felt like I wasn't being given what I wanted. 

Lulu had fallen asleep with his head on my car seat, while Gio looked to be half asleep with his head on the window. Ang was what looked to be dead asleep in the front seat, while Rocco wasn't driving. It scared me a little, to see Al in the driver's seat, and not Rocco. I was still mad at Al for putting my teddy in the wash. 

But that didn't stop me from being hungry. "Al" I called out quietly, not wanting to wake my brothers up. He turned his head a little to me, letting me know that he was listening. "'m hungry" I said, as I crossed my arms over myself, a small pout resting on my lips. 

"ok, ok, let me call Leo and we can find a place to pull over and eat" and with that, a soft sound was coming through the car, which I presumed was Al calling Leo. "Hello?" a voice questioned after the ringing stopped. It sounded like someone I knew, but I wasn't too sure. I just really wanted to stop somewhere and have something to eat.

"Hey Leo, umm, Chi wanted to stop and get some food. Where did you want to stop?" Al spoke, as I watched the sun start to rise from out the window. We must have been driving for a really long time, as the last I remember, we had stopped at a gas station and gotten something to eat from a fast food place, I think, as we stood out of the car for a while, and gone to the bathroom. 

We had stopped on our own, or at least Leo and Al weren't there at the time, and neither was Enzo. It had saddened me, that they didn't want to spend time with me like they used to. It felt like everything and everyone around me was changing again, and I didn't like it. It made me sad and I didn't want to be sad. 

"Umm, how about at the next McDonald's?" they continued to talk, but I had stopped listening. I don't know why we had been in the car for so long and where we were even going. I just wanted to hug Leo. Hopefully, wherever we were going, that Leo had brought Smokey, my cat with us. I couldn't leave her on her own. She made me happy, but right now, even just thinking about Smokey wasn't making me happy like it used to. 

Al and the person on the phone had stopped talking and everything was back to silence. For some reason, I felt like I was on the verge of crying and I didn't know why. Everything was different. I didn't know where I was. I really wanted to hug Leo or Enzo, but after the distance the two of them had been making with me, I wasn't so sure that I wanted to hug them anymore. 

I just wasn't sure of a lot of things anymore. Reaching over, I slowly and gently grabbed Luca's hand, that had dropped onto the edge of my car seat. I wrapped my small hand around a few of his fingers, trying to stop the tears from falling down my cheeks. I started to swing my legs back and forth, but nothing was enough to stop the tears from running down my cheeks.