19. Somewhere Different

- Chiara Romero -

- Chiara Romero -

Sitting tightly curled up in the back seat, I had my head tucked up into my knees. I hadn't spoken to anyone after what had happened at dinner. I felt like a naughty girl when Leo had turned his back on me and continued to walk out, not turning back to see me. It made me feel really bad, and now I didn't know how to fix it. 

With Eleanor and Mark, I always knew how to fix things. I knew how to stop them from yelling at me. But now, with my big brother, I had no clue what to do to fix this. I had been a bad person, and here I was, enjoying something that I knew I shouldn't be. I was comforted by the car seat, as I usually never had one in the car, and I had made my brother upset. 

Feeling the tears start to run down my cheeks, I sniffled quietly, as I tried to push my head further into my knees. Ang had switched with Gio, when he had picked me up and taking me out of the place where we had stopped, all because I was hungry, and now here I was, trying not to draw any more attention to myself than I already had. 

The tears only started to come faster and faster the more that I tried to stop them. "Chi" someone spoke, but I didn't dare move. I stopped moving, if anything. I almost stopped breathing. "Chiara" and with that, I felt someone moving for the buckle of my seat, and I let them. I was so tired and upset that I didn't care what happened. 

I clutched my teddy bear tighter, really wishing that Smokey was with me right now. She always comforted me. I didn't even stop the Ang from pulling me out of his seat and into his arms. This is what I needed. I wrapped my arms around his shoulders, holding on tightly, as the tears fell down my cheeks. I cried, as quietly as possible. 

"Shh, your ok" he murmured in my ear, but I didn't believe him. I wasn't ok because I had upset Leo and that meant that Leo wasn't ok. Leo was probably mad at me and he probably hated me. I cried even harder at this, starting to sob. "Come on, shh, stop crying. Go to sleep" everything that Ang was doing made me sob even harder. Nothing was going to stop me from crying. 

"I want Leo" what was once quiet, had turned loud cries, as I wanted to be held by my older brother. "We are almost there" Gio muttered from the seat that was in front of mine, and I knew that I was annoying him with my cries. I just couldn't stop. I wouldn't stop unless Leo told me to stop and soothed me. 

I wailed and cried for so long, that I started to grow tired, but even as I got tired, I just sobbed more and more. I wanted to see Leo right now, but that wasn't happening, making me feel even worse. My head was starting to hurt and snot was coming out of my nose. I felt hot all over and my tears were sticking to my cheeks. 

My throat felt sore and raw. My body slumped against Angelo's, as I gave up on my crying, which had turned into hiccups. Nothing was making me feel any better, not even Ang's hugs. Sitting back up, I tried to reach for his hoodie, to sit underneath it, but he didn't let me. I let out a little cry, which received a sigh in response.