CHAPTER XV

FINCH CORTES' POV

We all should have seen it coming. We all should have expected it. Why would Tommy ever want to reconcile with the ones who mistreated him to the point where he ran away? In the past few days after Tommy had returned to the lodging house, it was becoming more and more evident that Tommy did not want anything to do with anyone who mistreated him, just like how we made it clear to Tommy that we did not want anything to do with him. We all deserved it since we made him feel like an outcast and a traitor, then alienated him. Now, he is simply returning the favor.

The only Newsies that Tommy will ever speak with are Jack, Crutchie, Specs, Jojo, and Racetrack. As for everyone else, if Tommy ever saw anyone approach him, he would step in the opposite direction, walk to the rooftop entrance as quickly as possible, or ignore them if they attempted to talk with him. With all that evidence, it was clear that Tommy was upset with everyone and wanted some space away from us. No one has ever seen him that much as he has not left the rooftop as often. The only occasion anyone would see him was when someone else was with him. Besides that, he would only come down from the rooftop by himself to use the bathroom or eat something from the dining room, but even with the eating situation, he usually waits until everyone has left the room. In all honesty, Tommy would eventually forgive everyone.

Everyone except for me. Out of everyone who mistreated Tommy, I hurt him worse than anyone in this lodging house would have done. For crying out loud, I shoved him down the stairs and never even apologized! What kind of pathetic excuse of a brother am I?! If there were one person he would not forgive, it would be me, and I would not blame him for it. Just like the last time we ever talked to each other, Tommy and I were the only ones in the lodging house, but unlike last time, Tommy stayed on the rooftop and never came down. At least we ran into each other on the way to the bathroom. Tommy glared at me, but with the way he trembled and tensed up, I could tell that he was afraid to be near me. That is not how it is supposed to work. It should not be like that. A little brother was not supposed to be terrified of their older brother. What have I done?

"Hi, Tommy." What should I even say to him? What could I ever say to him? Instead of responding, Tommy merely shook his head, then instantly turned around to head back to the rooftop. "Wait, Tommy! You can use the bathroom before me. I do not mind." While Tommy did not say anything or turn around to look at me, he hesitated to proceed with returning to the rooftop.

"No... I can... I will get out of your way. Just leave me alone." Without another word, Tommy quickly ran up the rooftop. Well, that went better than our other conversations, which were not that many, but at least we ended on somewhat satisfying terms. Although, it may have been satisfying for him, but not for me. All I want is my brother back, but it will never happen unless I prove that I want to make amends with him and repair our relationship. I do not know how to accomplish it, but it will be worth it once it happens.

TOMMY BOY'S POV

For the second time, how could I have been so stupid?! Of all the people in the lodging house I could have run into, it had to be Finch. Why did it have to be Finch?! All I wanted was to use the bathroom, but apparently, that could never happen without complications and difficulty. I knew I should have waited until Jack or someone else who never hated me from the beginning returned from selling their newspapers so that no one would attempt to speak with me. However, that did not prevent some of them from trying, and even though it was annoying, I would never say anything to them. None of them deserve that kind of satisfaction.

Why should I act as if everything will return to normal? As if we will become the brothers we used to be after how they mistreated me? Everything will never be the identical way it was before the strike happened, so they should not behave like their apologies or attempts at redemption will mean anything to me. So what if the Harlem Newsies kidnapped me? How does that change anything? It does not change anything!

I cannot believe I even wished to return to the lodging house. I know that in the moment of weakness, that was the only thing I wanted, but now, I desire to return to the streets. I could have, but I do not wish to stress out Jack again or anyone else who always cared about me. So, for now, I will stick around and hold it out for as long as I can. Of course, who knows how long that will last?