CHAPTER XVI

JACK KELLY'S POV

"What?" Why would Tommy ever ask me that question? It surprised me as I assumed that Tommy would have wanted to wait a couple more days before he began selling newspapers again, but it seemed like he did not want to wait any longer. Why does Tommy need to continue selling their newspapers today? What is the importance? It does not make sense to me.

"Can I, Jack?"

"Why? Don't you think that you should wait for a couple more days? I do not mind covering for you. Neither do Crutchie, Racer, Specs, Jojo, and Davey."

"But how long will that last, Jack? Before you know it, the Weasel will become suspicious and fire me on the spot, and I will be back on the streets. And I do not want that to happen a second time, and I already learned my lesson the first time."

"Ok, first of all: it was not your fault that you were on the streets, and you know that, Tommy. Two: you know that I will never allow the Weasel to fire or kick you out onto the streets. Three: it is alright to ask for help every once in a while. Even I learned that it is acceptable to ask for help from people."

"But that is the problem. I never asked for help and never wanted anyone's help."

"Ok, spit it out. What is the real issue?"

"I do not know what you mean."

"Yes, you do. Tell me, and I promise I will not judge you."

"... It is just that the last time I depended on someone for money, it caused me to lose everything. It would be better if no one helped me, and I accomplished everything independently."

"Tommy, you know that is not true. What about the strike? Think about what would have happened if Finch did not offer to pay off your release from Harlem." Tommy scoffed at what I mentioned. For obvious reasons, he still had issues with Finch, but I decided not to comment on his actions. "What would have happened to you if Crutchie, Finch, and I did not save you at the last minute? What would you have done in that situation?"

"I am... I am not sure."

"Exactly."

"Well, I still want to sell papers today."

"But what is the reason?"

"Do I need to provide you with a reason? I do not see why I have to, and I do not even know why it is a big deal for you."

"Because, as your older brother, I am concerned about you and want to ensure that you are not trying to force yourself to do this in order to prove a point or something like that."

"I am not trying to prove a point! I feel like selling today, alright?" Tommy was hiding something from him, but I knew that he would not tell me, no matter how many times I tried to make him spill the truth. So, for now, at least, I had to leave it alone.

"Fine, I guess I cannot stop you if you feel like selling papers today. But there is one condition: you must always stay with me. Until further notice, you are not allowed to sell by yourself."

"Fine by me. I have no problem with that."

"Alright, then. Let's carry the banner." After we left the rooftop, we nabbed a quick breakfast, then walked out into Newsies Square. Everyone turned around and stared at Tommy with no emotion. Tommy instantly became uncomfortable with all the unwanted attention and hid behind me. "Look, Tommy. Why don't you stay inside for the rest of the day, and then we can try again tomorrow?"

"No, I want to do this!" Why are all the boys so stubborn? They are all going to be the death of me one of these days.

There was no chance of convincing Tommy to reconsider his decision, so we headed toward the line to collect our newspapers. Of course, the Delancey brothers had to cause more trouble for Tommy than he had already endured.

"Well, look who decided to come back. That is too bad; I would have loved to kick your useless and worthless butt out on the streets, and no one would have missed you," Oscar Delancey taunted Tommy.

"Leave him alone. He hasn't done anything to you guys. Why don't you make yourself useful for once and give me a hundred papers?" Morris handed me a hundred papers, and I passed fifty of them to Tommy.

"I could have paid for my own papers."

"Well, now you do not have to for today."

"... Thank you."

"Of course. Come on, let's head out." Selling our newspapers went surprisingly well. Obviously, Tommy has not lost his skills during his time on the streets. But, out of nowhere, Tommy became nervous for the second time today and ran into the nearest alleyway. Where was he going? What was he doing? I turned in the direction Tommy looked at and immediately found out what scared him. It was some of those Harlem Newsies who kidnapped Tommy. They were smiling at me with malice while I glared hatefully at them. Eventually, those Harlem Newsies walked away; assuming it was safe, I went over to Tommy and told him to leave his hiding spot.

"Sorry about that. I did not think I would see any of those Harlem Newsies around here."

"Do not worry about it. How about we head home for the day?"

"But we haven't finished selling our newspapers."

"That is not any of your concern. You should not need to worry about that; let me worry about that."

"Alright, let's go home then." Tommy still looked shaken about the close encounter, but he should have been fine after a while. Well, at least Tommy managed to sell some of his newspapers, so I guess you have to take your victories where you can get them. Hopefully, that will be the last time Tommy will ever have to reencounter the Harlem Newsies. Still, if either of them even looks at Tommy, it will be a horrible day for everyone, especially Slingshot.

The Disgraced Newsie( Tommy Boy Alternate)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara