CHAPTER XXIII

TOMMY BOY'S POV

It was weird; what had happened to me? One second I was walking downstairs to sell my newspapers, and then the next second, I blacked out from stress and exhaustion. At least, now that I am back on the rooftop where I am the most comfortable. And at least that unexpected incident wasn't all that bad. However, the one thing throughout that entire unwanted experience that confused me was who comforted me during that random blackout because it certainly wasn't Jack, as he was too busy shouting at Buttons and Henry and wasn't even that close to me anyway. But for all I knew, it could have been anyone, but hopefully, Jack noticed and would tell me so that I could thank them.

"Tommy! Thank goodness that you are finally awake! You really scared me there, Kid!" Jack stated. He was sitting on the other side of the rooftop but clearly looked at me with concern.

"What? Why wouldn't I be? Haven't I been asleep for a couple of hours?"

"You have been asleep for three days, Tommy."

"What?!" How was that even possible? Sure, he might have passed out, but he didn't think that would cause him to be unconscious for three days. "What?"

"Yeah, it was pretty bad, but at least you are okay now."

"But still, how could that have happened?"

"You had a panic attack."

"A panic attack? What does that mean?" Jack looked conflicted, trying to find the best way to explain and answer my question.

"Well... I am not sure how to explain it properly, but it is something that some people experience when too much stress overtakes them, and they can't regulate it. Maybe Davey can explain it better to you."

"Alright, so now what? Are you going to keep me up here until you feel that I am ready to sell newspapers again?"

"No, unless you want to stay up here. The choice is yours." It would be nice not to see Henry or Buttons after what happened, but at the same time, I had already missed so many days to the point where the Weasel would not hesitate to fire and kick me out onto the streets. Of course, Jack and the others who still liked me wouldn't allow that to happen, which could cause the Weasel to fire them as well, and I couldn't let that happen. It was easier just to head to work anyway.

"I think that I want to sell papers today."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I need to do it eventually."

"Alright, then, come on."

"By the way, what happened?"

"What do you mean by 'what happened?' I already told you what happened."

"I mean, what happened when I had that panic attack? I remember you shouting at Henry and Buttons and then someone else holding me, but I knew it wasn't you, so who was it? I wanted to thank them for it."

"Oh... Well, it was Finch." When Jack said that, I instantly looked at him with disbelief and slight anger. Why was he so insistent on defending Finch and acting like he was always a good older brother when Finch truthfully wasn't? "Tommy, don't look at me like that."

"Give me a break. Stop trying to defend him and making stuff up that never happened because you desperately want me to make amends with him!"

"But it did happen! And the fact that it did happen was one of the reasons Finch never wanted me to tell you in the first place, and frankly, I should have listened to him."

"What?" So, Jack wasn't just lying to defend Finch? "So, he was actually there."

"Yeah, and he was the one who comforted you until you lost consciousness, so if anyone deserves a thank you from you, it should be him." Honestly, I would be lying if I said that news didn't surprise me because it incredibly shocked me. As soon as the strike ended, everyone, especially him, made it clear that my actions were unforgivable and that no one would trust me ever again. However, after the Harlem Newsies happened, everyone wanted to treat me better. Well, no one had treated me better, per se, but it was still better than before. "I didn't realize that he would do that for me. Why would he do that for me?"

"Why don't you ask him that yourself?" Of course, that was the most obvious answer; after all, I had just told Jack that I wanted to thank the person who helped me out, even if that person were Finch.

"You're right."

"Since when have I ever been wrong?"

"Do you really want me to answer that?"

"Actually, just forget that I even asked that question." As Jack and I walked downstairs to join the others at Newsies Square, we happened to run into Finch as he exited his room. Of course, he would be the first person I had to encounter, but this time, I was somewhat glad to meet up with Finch, although it was a minor feeling at that moment. "Well, there is no better moment for you two to talk it out than while you are alone, so I will just leave you to it." Jack immediately walked toward the staircase, and I couldn't help but glare at him as he did that. Did Jack seriously have to make this situation more awkward than it needed to be?

"How are you feeling? Jack told me what happened," Finch stated, breaking the uncomfortable silence.

"I am alright. Just can't wait for another day of carrying the banner and all that."

"That is good to hear. I will see you out there then." Finch turned around to leave, but this time, I didn't want him to leave; at least not without giving him the proper appreciation for what he didn't even have to do.

"Finch, wait!" Finch turned around and looked at me in shock, and frankly, I have to agree with him on that. "Jack told me what had happened. You didn't have to do that for me, so thank you." I could have said that a little better than how it came out, but Finch didn't seem to mind as he looked surprised and almost happy that I even said that to his face. Instead of saying anything else, he only nodded at me and then walked downstairs. Well, at least it went better than I expected, but how come I still wasn't satisfied?