CHAPTER XXV

TOMMY BOY'S POV

'Why did you push me down the stairs?' I asked Finch, sounding harsher than I intended. If there was one thing that Jack was right about, it was that it was not hard to see that there were some noticeable differences between Finch and I's relationship. Whether that was a good thing or a bad thing, I did not have the slightest idea, but if I ever wanted the option to truly reconcile with Finch, then he needed to provide me with closure.

He flinched and looked at me in a shocked and almost deflated expression. Undoubtedly, he figured out the only reason I willingly wanted to sell newspapers with him was to confront him about that incident. Please, as if I would ever forget the leading cause of me leaving the lodging house and the catalyst of what happened with the Harlem newsies, how could I not ask about his reasoning behind it? Although no excuse in the whole world would make me forget or possibly forgive him for what he had done to me, that did not mean we could not work through it and somewhat return to what we used to be, though nothing could ever be the same after that.

"I..." Finch trailed off from his sentence and remained silent. Of course, it wouldn't be that easy. "I am sorry, Tommy."

"That is not an explanation, Finch," I bluntly stated, still impatiently waiting for a response. If he didn't provide me with a proper response, then I would leave and never speak with him again. I probably shouldn't be helping him out at all, but perhaps, if I made him understand how I felt in that situation, then maybe he would better provide me with a reasonable explanation. "Do you even know what it was like when you shoved me down the stairs? And not just physically but emotionally and mentally? It was bad enough that everyone else treated me like crap and hated me, but I understood it because I betrayed you guys and broke your trust. I could have tolerated it since I felt that I deserved it, and it wasn't as bad as I assumed it would have been, at least until you pushed me down the stairs. I never thought that you would do that to me. I get it that you hated me and didn't want me around you because I know how you feel about backstabbers, but I doubt that you even thought it was necessary to physically hurt me. After all, you have never done that to me; you just ignored me. Do you even know how it felt when you pushed me without any remorse? To see you walk away without any look of concern or regret? True, it was stupid and somewhat selfish of me to leave the lodging house, but could you have blamed me? Do you blame me?"

"No..."

"Jack wasn't lying when he said that you helped out the most, wasn't he? You actually sold Mom's necklace to make enough money to save me?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"What do you mean, 'why?' Why wouldn't I do that? You are my brother, so of course, I would do anything for you."

"Oh, really? You could have fooled me," I replied sarcastically but spitefully. Finch had a hurt expression, but I still didn't feel bad for him. He didn't deserve any pity from me. "Regardless, you didn't have to do that for me. No one more than me knew how much you loved and missed Mom; that necklace was the last thing you ever had of her."

"Yeah, I know, but your life is worth more than the necklace, so it's fine." His eyes and expression didn't match his words; he looked more sad rather than appreciative of his actions, but at least he didn't look like he regretted his decision. "Look, Tommy, I can't take back everything I had said to you, and I can't take back what I had done to you by pushing you down the stairs, but I sincerely want to make it up to you."

"It won't be easy, especially since it had taken this long for you to apologize," I whispered that last part, although Finch didn't seem to hear it, so that was good for me.

"I know, and we both can't pretend that we both messed up and ruined our relationship." Even I couldn't deny that. All of this started because I made the stupid decision of betraying everyone and listening to the weasel. Everyone had the right to be angry with me and occasionally throw their insults at me. Of course, they took it too far whenever they chased and beat me down, but Finch was the worst. He was one of the few who ignored and hated me but never beat me up, so it was more shocking than anything else.

"True, I can't deny that. Some of the others still haven't forgiven me for the betrayal, although I am not surprised."

"Just give them some time; they will come around eventually. Anyway, is there a chance that we can ever become friends again? Or possibly brothers?"

"Well, seeing how I am having a conversation with you and actually tolerating standing less than a couple of feet from you, I think that there is a possibility. However, we will need to set some boundaries and take things one step at a time. There is still too much tension between us, so it is best that we don't rush into things."

"Agreed. Thank you." I simply nodded, and then, with both Finch and me surprised about the sudden motion, I walked toward Finch and wrapped my arms around him. Although initially shocked by the action, he quickly returned the gesture and just stood there in the middle of the street and stayed like that for a minute. It was nice; it was very nice to have that moment. There was still a long way for us to go, but at least we were both on the right path. I wonder how long that would last.