VI. 𝗹𝗮𝘁𝗲 𝗻𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁 𝘁𝗮𝗹𝗸𝗶𝗻𝗴

𝐕𝐈𝐀

My stupid nightmares still haunted my sleep.

As much as I wanted to sleep, I didn't want to wake everybody up from my screaming-- something that would probably make them all piss themselves in bed, seeing as my screams sound like I'm being axe murdered. So, I opted to stay awake.

Laying on the makeshift bed Nya had made for me, I stared up at the wooden ceiling overhead. The sound of Nya's muffled snores from the bed were the only noises I could hear, besides the occasional louder snore from the room behind hers. I tried to scratch at my thumb, but the white bandage kept me from doing so. Probably a good thing, except now I didn't know what to do with myself.

I let out a heavy sigh. I sweeped the comfortable teal blanket away from my body, and crawled up off the floor. Tiptoe-ing to the door, careful not to wake Nya, I exited the room. The quiet hallway felt eerie with everyone asleep, and the lights off. With a shaky breath, I crept to the stairs, my bare feet hitting the cold, polished wood. I climbed up the stairs, skipping the first level and heading straight for the deck of the ship.

The cold night air rushed against my arms and face, blowing my fresh blonde hair out of my eyes. I breathed it in, the calm breeze entering my lungs and leaving a pleasant heaviness to my chest.

I climbed the ladder up to the bridge, but instead of walking underneath the roofed section, I headed for the edge of the area and sat on the ledge, feet dangling above the threshold to below deck. I leaned back against the ship's wheel, and looked out into the night.

The Bounty sat above the clouds, high above the bustling environment of Ninjago City, but I could still see the tips of tall buildings and skyscrapers peeking out from the cloud coverage. I had a clear view of the starry sky, and the full moon along with it. With most of the power off on the ship, the only sources of light were the few lanterns still lit and the intense moonlight from the sky.

I took a moment to just take it all in.

The noises coming from below: cars whizzing along the street, the clinking of drinks, the chitter-chattering of friends. The noises from above: the occasional bird flying through the clouds, the wind battering across the Bounty's sails, the creaking of the foremast.

"Couldn't sleep?"

I just barely managed to muffle my squeal with my hand. I leaned over the ledge I was sitting on, and peered down to the deck. There stood a certain black-haired Ninja, clad in a black shirt and gray sweatpants. His amber eyes reflected the moonlight, a contrast to how they looked under the orange glow of the lanterns.

I shook my head in answer to his question, watching as he ascended the ladder and plopped down on the ledge a safe three feet away from me.

"I expected as much," Cole flashed me a quick smile, his eyes glistening, "I didn't think you'd get much sleep tonight. New environment, new people..." he trailed off before adding, "I wouldn't be able to sleep if the roles were switched."