XVII. 𝗶 𝗳𝗶𝗻𝗮𝗹𝗹𝘆 𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗹𝗶𝘇𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗺𝗲𝘀𝘀 𝗶'𝗺 𝗶𝗻

𝐕𝐈𝐀

When I awoke, I was screaming. It was no normal scream-- no, not at all-- it was a blood curdling scream that would send someone running for help. It was full of agonizing pain. It was so loud, I was sure I had bursted someone's eardrum. I felt tears running down my face like waterfalls. There was a shock of electricity running through my body, sending each of my muscles writhing and contorting. It hurt so bad.

Suddenly, it stopped.

My screams died in my throat, and I slumped to the ground. Or, I would have slumped to the ground, if there weren't chains keeping me from doing so. Through teary eyes, I registered my position. I was kneeling on a metal grate. Below it, a tunnel full of murky water. The metal nawed into my knees, and I could feel blood running down my legs in some places. I tugged on the cuffs restricting my wrists; two chains coming from the tall ceiling kept my torso upright, my arms suspended in the air. My eyes were puffy from endless crying.

The pain came again, this time stronger. I wailed, feeling a sharp edge press into my back and shock the daylights out of me. I struggled in the restraints, trying to yank myself free from my prison.

It's the Institute all over again. I thought, letting my sobs wrack through my body each time the shockwave powered through me. Chained and strapped down, getting shocked and prodded and tortured.

"STOP IT!" A desperate yell echoed through the room, just loud enough to be heard over my screams. The voice-- it was familiar. It was torn with pain and sadness. It sounded like whoever it was, had been crying. "LET HER GO!"

The muffle of someone answering the voice's plea was drowned out by my sobs. I was crying like I had never cried before. The only words I caught were "shut up, scum" and "the process is soon complete." I had no idea what that meant, but I knew whatever 'process' this was, it would hurt a lot.

I felt a hand on my cheek. My eyes snapped open to see the glowing face of Mika Terrace. I squealed and yanked away from her, but the electrified spear nicked at my back again, giving me a reminder of what would come if I resisted anything. It was terrifying-- I was locked in a staring contest with the woman who had betrayed me. She, the mother-figure in my life, who had taken care of me my entire life and made me feel loved, had betrayed me. She had chained me. She had tortured me. And I still don't know what she wants with me. All I do know is that she knows every capability of my power, which means she knows exactly what it can do.

What I can do.

"Hello, my dear." Mika's smile sent a chill down my spine. "Do not resist, Via. It will be over soon."

I managed a few strained words. "Are you... going to kill me?" I was shocked at how much effort it took to say those few words. My throat was dry from the tantrums, causing my voice to be tiny and quiet-- barely even audible. Mika's close proximity permitted her full awareness of my words.