Chapter 13

Sarah was in the living room reading a book as she usually did when her mother and aunt walked in carrying a large thick book and placing it on the coffee table in front of her.

"What's that?" Sarah asked closing her book and placing it on the side table. Tanya smiled at her daughter as Jessica opened the large heavy book.

"It is time for you to pick your familiar." Tanya said with excitement.

Sarah scooted closer to the edge of the couch looking over the animals that many witches in her family had as familiars. She saw over 80 generations of Princeton witches document every familiar they had. She saw pages of her ancestors names witch and warlock. She'd never thought too much about her family over the centuries.

"How will I choose?" Sarah asked looking to her aunt.

"You don't," Tanya said getting Sarahs attention. "They will choose you." She added as a small hedgehog waddled over into the living room and looked up to it's owner. Tanya smiled sweetly and picked up the hedgehog. "Now, you will take the book and head into the woods, resight the spell and a familiar will come to you." Tanya said making Sarah feel a bit nervous.

She's never done spells by herself before, usually, her mother or aunt was there to guild her. But Sarah did as she was told and picked up the large heavy book. Tanya's hand began to glow a teal blue while Jessica's hand was glow purple.

"By car, by plane, or by boat, be safe in your travel. Protected, yet free, a familiar this witch seeks. Return with a clearn mind and a heart whole." The two witches say as Sarah is consumed in a cloud of teal and purple mist.

Sarah held the book tightly in her hands seeing she was no longer in her living room but in the Beacon Hills Preserve. She opened the book and placed it down on a large rock nearby. She read over the spell a few times breathing in and out as he raised her hands to the trees around her, and resighted the spell.

"Spirits of the forest, I pronounce my intentions to thee. Come forth and seek me, an equal you will be. Not master or servant, but familiar to familiar, to share our knowledge, our spirit, and our traits." Sarah finished sending out a small red wave of magic through the trees.

She stood there waiting patiently, or at least tried to anyways. She paced back and forth waiting for something to happen, anything at all, but no, nothing happened.

She was never very good at waiting.

Sarah let out a sigh and sat down on the forest floor crossing her legs and closing her eyes. She brought her hands together and took in a deep breath and let it out as she focused on the energy around her. She listened to the wind blow the branches of the trees, the water flowing from the small creek, she even hired the birds chirping in the distance. She started to calm herself and relax meditating, as she focused on the sounds around her. Her body soon began to hover over the ground with a red aura glowing around her body.

But soon she started to get the feeling something was watching her. She opened her eyes and saw a hummingbird flapping its wings in front of her. Sarah smiled holding her finger out to it.

"Oh, hello there." Sarah said kindly. The Hummingbird landed on Sarah's finger. "Are you to be my familiar?" Sarah asked as the bird nudged into Sarah's thumb. "I'll take that as a yes." Sarah said getting up from the ground. "Shall we head home?" Sarah asked the hummingbird. She picked up the large book and started walking through the Preserve with her new friend flying around her. "I suppose I'll have to think of a name for you, won't I?" She asked looking at the hummingbird. "Jay?" Sarah asked the little bird. But Sarah didn't think it fit very well. "How about Opal?" She asked but again wasn't very sure. "Well, we have plenty of time to sort it out." Sarah said as she continued her walk.