chapter thirteen.

Sleep

Sleep

  CLEO HAD BEEN HOLDING BACK DURING practices to fade into the crowd of Cobra Kai's, and it was obvious. She didn't want or need the karate dojo, and she would have happily given it up for no drama, and as much happiness as the Earth could physically give her. Of course, life didn't work that way.

In a perfect world, she would know and love her mother, be with the girl she loved, her friends would never be in danger, and her grandfather would love her without judgment.

Only in a perfect world.

"Queen Cobra, let's see if you understand the lesson." Kreese spoke loudly in front if the class. He had been going harder on the girl since everyone found out they were related, not wanting to make it seem like he was picking favorites.

"Huh—" Cleo raised a brow, her hands folded behind her back.

She honestly hadn't been listening at all, too busy thinking about the folded in her bag that her father had gave her.

"I want you to kick this tree off the top." Kreese instructed, pointing up to a tree that rested on a large... stump?

"Okay..." Cleo knew the correct way to do this was kick the stump but instead, she backed up and ran forward, kicking upward.

Her foot went just above the tree, missing it by an inch.

"Pitiful." Kreese shook his head, letting out a sigh. "Get back in line."

The Harper girl nodded lightly, her eyes shifting to her dad in the backroom teaching a smaller class. He smiled at her, she smiled back, and then the girl went to her spot beside Hawk. She leaned over to the boys ear, telling him exactly what to do.

"Kick the middle of the podium, the tree will fall down, and you'll be his favorite for the day." She spoke, the boy looking to her with a raised brow.

She gave him a reassuring tap, and he nodded at her confidently.

"I can do it, sensei." The boy spoke eagerly, stepping forward.

"What are you waiting for?" Kreese questioned dryly.

Just as he had been instructed, Hawk kicked the middle of the podium and it knocked onto the ground.

"Impressive." The old sensei spoke, looking briefly into his granddaughters eyes.

She was hoping this would get the attention off her for awhile, maybe it would work, maybe it wouldn't.

AS OFFERED, CLEO BEGAN TO HELP TORY WATCH her mom and brother while she worked. This was in exchange to get the girl to join Cobra Kai, which Kreese explained was in their best interest. In a way, Cleo enjoyed this cause she got to be away from home and had come to absolutely adore Tory's brother.