Chapter 2

Ever since that incident a few days ago, Espresso Cookie haven't left his own home. It was like he was glued to his couch: never moving an inch, and staying curled up. The professor had also wrapped himself up in his blanket that he kept on the couch. It was like a little comfort object for him. While he was on the couch, his eyes were wide opened, and he was slowly rocking back and forth.

Speaking of "comfort object," Espresso still haven't recovered from what has happened back at the academy. Those memories were still vivid... to think he was at Death's door at that moment..
Since he've been absent at the academy for a long period of time, occasionally, Eclair and Latte would try their best to visit him as much as possible, but no avail, Espresso neither opened the door for them, nor has he ever approached the door. It brought great panic to him to even think about letting another well-known cookie near him now.

Espresso was sitting in his living room, as quiet as a jelly mouse until he suddenly heard a hard knock on the door, followed by a voice.

VOICE: "Espresso, it's Detective Almond! Open the door! We need to talk."

But even with such a reassuring voice, Espresso didn't budge. His breathing became heavier as his heart started pounded. Thoughts were racing through his head of whether or not he should open the door. It is the detective after all...

ALMOND COOKIE: His knocking only became more persistent. "Espresso Cookie! I know you're in there. Open the door, and we can both get this over with!"

After what felt like hours, the door finally creaked open, but only slightly. Espresso was right behind the door, and was peeking out through the small crack.

ESPRESSO COOKIE: "What do you... you want to talk about, detective?"

ALMOND COOKIE: "It would be best if you let me come inside. This is a rather private matter that must not have a chance of getting leaked into the public."

ESPRESSO COOKIE, shaking his head: "No, you may not come in. I do not feel comfortable with anyone coming in."

ALMOND COOKIE: He stared at Espresso in confusion, but quickly, irritation was quick to set in. "Espresso Cookie, this is very important! We must speak in a secluded area, and your own house seemed to be the best of them all!"

ESPRESSO COOKIE: "No, I--I do not trust you."

ALMOND COOKIE, sighing: "Look. It's just a quick walk in then walk out. All I'm going to do is ask you a few questions, and once they're answered, I promise I'll leave right away. Does that sound good to you?"

ESPRESSO COOKIE: "Until you bring someone else here with you, I'm not allowing you inside my home."

Almond Cookie stared at Espresso with a greatly irritated look. Why must such an important matter be postponed? Who else could he bring here that wasn't just himself? Ugh, who knows what dangers may spring up if they don't talk right here, right now?
But nonetheless, it doesn't seem like Almond will get anything out of this if he continued to be persistent with this, so he fixed his tie then turned away from Espresso Cookie.

ALMOND COOKIE, walking away: "In that case, I'll be back in a few."

An hour or so has passed ever since Almond left, but that didn't matter to Espresso. Not at all. He was back on his couch, curled up again and slowly rocking back and forth. It was silent yet again, but Espresso didn't mind: it gave him a sense of peace and comfort.
But that silence was broken as persistent knocking was heard from the front door again.

ALMOND COOKIE, knocking: "It's Almond Cookie, and I brought my daughter. Now open up!"

After a bit of knocking, the door finally creaked open once again. Espresso peeked through the crack, and indeed, Almond was not lying. His daughter, Walnut Cookie, was standing right next to him. She gave a wave at the professor with a cheerful smile, but Espresso was not interested in greeting her back.
Espresso Cookie then looked back at Almond, who had an irritated look, and was tapping his foot out of impatience. Espresso disappeared from the crack, and right after, the door was opened enough for the two to enter.

Without any hesitation, and swiftly, both Almond Cookie and Walnut Cookie entered into Espresso Cookie's house.
Walnut looked around in amazement, whereas Almond was more focused on Espresso than anything else. Upon noticing her father's focus, Walnut was quick to focus on the professor as well.

ESPRESSO COOKIE, closing the door: "So, detective--What do you wish to question me about?"

ALMOND COOKIE, crossing his arms: "I've caught wind that some creature is roaming about in this city, and that it takes the form of a particular cookie: Madeleine Cookie. Apparently, you were the one that got to witness it firsthand. Is that correct?"

ESPRESSO COOKIE, nodding: "Yes, yes, that is correct."

ALMOND COOKIE: "Is that why you haven't been attending your job at the institute for the past few days?"

ESPRESSO COOKIE: "Yes, sir."

ALMOND COOKIE: "Is the creature dangerous?"

ESPRESSO COOKIE, nodding: "I believe so. Yes."

ALMOND COOKIE: "After the attack, an eyewitness said that you were the only one in there by the time they entered the room. Is this correct?"

ESPRESSO COOKIE, already knowing who he was referring to: "Yes, that is correct. It escaped before anyone could see it."

ALMOND COOKIE: "Did you see where it had escaped? Do you suspect it may be roaming around Parfaedia as we speak?"

ESPRESSO COOKIE, nodding: "It ran into the academy's ventilation system, but I have no clue if it's roaming around the city."

Almond Cookie closed his eyes as he started think. If there's a chance that the creature is not running around the city, and it escaped through the institute's ventilation system then that must mean--

WALNUT COOKIE: "Does that mean... the creature is still in the academy?"

It was like time stopped. The creature... in the academy? Where there's kids? Both Espresso's and Almond's eyes widened at such a thought, and looked at each other.

ALMOND COOKIE: "Are you insane, Espresso?! Why would you let such a thing be in the same place where most of the children in this city would stay in for hours!"

ESPRESSO COOKIE: "I--I didn't think it would still stick around after that encounter! It seemed as if it was truly scared off!"

ALMOND COOKIE: "You're a professor, Espresso. If anything that is deemed dangerous for the students is present in the building then you're supposed to report it to the council! Or at, the very least, to me! And even if it were to get out into the city, then what? Were you just going to stay silent about?"

Espresso Cookie went silent after Almond scolded him. A guilty look was present on Espresso's face.

ALMOND COOKIE, facepalming: "Celestials give me patience..."

WALNUT COOKIE: "I think we should hurry up and tell the council about it. If we stay here any longer, who knows what would--"

ALMOND COOKIE: "It's best that we don't tell the council right now."

WALNUT COOKIE: "What?! But you just told Espresso--"

ALMOND COOKIE: "I know what I said, but it's best that we go to the institute and shut it down for some time instead of wasting any more time trying to tell others about the situation. In the meantime, don't tell anyone else about this, and lets keep this between all three of us and the eyewitnessess, got it?"

WALNUT COOKIE, nodding: "Got it."

ALMOND COOKIE: "Good. Now let's get out of here."

Almond Cookie, along with Walnut Cookie, walked over to the door and opened it. Walnut left, but Almond stayed behind and looked over at Espresso.

ALMOND COOKIE: "Don't think you're off the hook. We'll continue to talk about this later, but for now, don't tell anyone else." Almond Cookie walked out, but was holding the knob. "The last thing anyone wants is to have a mass panic seize the whole of Parfaedia, and probably a riot. With that being said, goodbye."

The door closed with a bang. Now Espresso was left alone to ponder while standing right in front of the door.

Stuck Together (Cookie Run)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें