CHAPTER 6 - MAL

Ch

Ch. 6: Mal's Deal

August 11 | Noon

"Who is this, Lisette?"

At the stiff note of censure in my voice, the twins Ava and Cherie, dressed in matching silk rompers, emerged from my office to see what was going on. Cherie kneeled and pressed her face between the bars of the banister, while Ava leaned against the rail, both studying the interloper. Lightless, they went unseen.

"I caught him wandering the house," Lisette explained.

The poor housekeeper looked as if she wanted to throw herself from a balcony. Darcy Cyprian wasn't the kindest employer on the best day. He abhorred surprises, pop-up guests. As live-in manager of his estate, so did I.

I waved a hand, and she fled.

So, why was this man here? Had Jack called him? Neither Darcy nor I had thought to confiscate Jack's cellphone, non-disclosure agreements being what they were. But I had trouble guessing at why he'd call for help. The Ashivants had been nothing but hospitable to him.

I arched an eyebrow. Interesting, how the ex-con attracted Supernaturals.

Descending the stairs, shadows rippled in my wake like the billowy train of a gown. The house stirred with whispers that this person didn't belong. I circled him, his wide eyes tracking my eddy of darkness. Oasis-colored eyes. Skin like the sands of the Dasht-e Kavir desert. His slender build hid the strength of his body, but it was there in the curving rivers of veins threading his hands.

On the wall between the double staircase where I had cornered him, there was a landscape painting. When an ebony tree flowed acrylic limbs toward him, his temper flared like an unexpected spark in a gas-filled room, and the movement ceased. I liked him.

"Your name?" I asked.

"Sunny Cezanne. Where's Jack? What have you done with him?"

Oh, I liked him. Hiding a smile, I lit a rose cigarette and brought it to my lips as magic crackled between us. I peered into his soul. His spirit was a supernova, purity ablaze, as was his panic. No dark heart, but I saw his cravings. What Sunny wanted more than anything was to save somebody. No one in this house could be saved. He also wanted to know what I was.

I casually let slip my type, which he wouldn't have guessed without aid. Supernaturals had the gift of hiding in plain sight, but some were better at it than others, and my kind were top tier. With skills like mine, obscurity was a necessity.

"Djinn!" Sunny sneered as he raised his fists with feet spread.

Blowing smoke in his face, I quelled my laughter. "Fearless but foolish. What do you want with Jack?"

"His soul is ours," my youngest sister's voice came from the upper landing.

"Aht-aht, Cherie. Tend to our guest upstairs and let me handle this, hm?" I clicked my tongue.